Different PH Levels

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We have our 16 gallon established community tank with Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Corys, 1 Guppy, and 1 Platy. The PH has always been steady at 7.7 or so. I know that for Cardinals, it is way above their recommended level. Same with most of the others tetras. However, all seem happy and healthy.

Our 48 gallon tank (still cycling) has a PH of 6.5 with 5 African Lampeyes and 2 platties. I understand that Platties are supposed to have a higher PH (more like 7.5). They also seem happy and healthy. Not sure why there is such a large difference from tank to tank in regards to the PH. Maybe the special aquarium soil we are using in the 48 causes a lower PH? The water here in Tokyo is generally 7.7 out of the tap. Any ideas why and what we should do? If it ain't broke don't fix it???

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's most likely either your substrate or one of the decorations in your tank that's causing the pH to drop. As long as the pH is stable, you shouldn't worry too much. You could add some form of buffer, but this in itself can cause problems if you can't control it, or if the substrate is designed to reduce pH.

While the pH on the two tanks is so different, be sure to drip acclimate fish if you're transfering them from one tank to another. Perhaps it would be a better idea to keep the platies in the 16g tank and the tetras in the 48g tank.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Also, since your pH is so different, you don't want to perform large water changes directly out of the tap into the 48 (probably no more than 10%) Too large a change could cause pH swings, which your fish won't appreciate. What is the special aquatic soil for? Do you have any rocks or decorations which might be causing the pH to drop? You might want to narrow down the cause just so you know (and can decide whether you want it or not)

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
When we got our new 48g tank, we decided we'd get this special aquarium soil rather than the stones we have in our 16g tank. We thought that it would promote better plant growth, especially since we have non-Co2 plants. The light-colored stones in our 16g actually make the tank look very bright and beautiful. The soil (stones) are black of course and they tend to darken the color of the tank some. Still, it looks good though. We only have a couple pieces of wood in both tanks - not different from one to the other really. That's why I think it would have to be the soil. Anyway, the fish seem happy. However, I was wondering if we should just keep things the way they are or not...

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I have a dumb question, as I'm a beginnner myself. I understand that calcium and minerals make water soft or hard, but what is making the difference in people's water PH? I've read about it, but I still don't get it.

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
Seleya said:
Also, since your pH is so different, you don't want to perform large water changes directly out of the tap into the 48 (probably no more than 10%) Too large a change could cause pH swings, which your fish won't appreciate. What is the special aquatic soil for? Do you have any rocks or decorations which might be causing the pH to drop? You might want to narrow down the cause just so you know (and can decide whether you want it or not)
I agree with Seleya. That's about all I have to say about that. *GOLDFISH*

to ONeill074, and capper too for that matter:
my favourite page so far on pH (and gH and kH) is this one:
http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html