Disadvantages of UV sterelizer

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I have read/research all the advantages of using a UV sterelizer in saltwater tank. But I have being able to very little on the disadvantages of using one. I am sure that are some cons, such as killing bacteria/algae that is usefull for a SW tank.

Rohn

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, a major disadvantage is that to actually be effective you need a really powerfull unit which will initially cost a few hundred dollars to setup, furthermore, the cost of running one and replacing bulbs can become prohibitive very quickly

I think UV Sterilizers are one of those gadgets that have found their way into the hobby that really aren't necessary...if you stay on top of water changes and general tank maintenance you really shouldn't need one in my opinion

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
When I bought the tank, the UV sterelizer and everything needed to set it up came with it. I want to know the cons of using one before using it.

I am one of those people that would rather install a peice of gadget if it help in avoiding water changes. :D :D

Rohn

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Water changes are avoidable, but you have to go to a pretty far extent to get away from them AND have the same parameters that a waterchanges would provide. IMO, waterchanges shouldn't ever be avoided.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The disadvantages are they don't really do much, and they drain your wallet of money.

They have nada to do with filtration, and the ones 99% of hobbyists use aren't likely effective against the common parasites they're used to combat as 1. the hobbysist units aren't powerful enough to kill ich and 2. you need to change the bulbs very, very often, and clean the tubing.

So if you're looking to reduce water changes money spent on a UV is about as useful as spending it on beer.

What do you think they do in the 'for' section?

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
So, how much intensity flux do you need to kill common parasites? You are not suggesting that it require light at the higher end of the spectrum (x-ray and gamma rays) to kill these common parasites? If I remember my college physics, even small amount of UV flux can kill some of the bacteria.

Rohn