Disappearing Shrimp!

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
I have 5 Amano shrimps and one seems to have gone missing....! I've looked everywhere.

I've been watching the mollies and they seems to be quite interested in the shrimps...could they have eaten one? I guess he could be hiding in the driftwood but I highly doubt it!

Thank you cool dudes :cool:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if there is driftwood in there, and you think it can fit somewhere in it, then thats exactly where the shrimp is lol. I'm guessing I have somewhere around 40 cherry shrimp in my 40 gallon give or take a few. I only see around 10 of them at a time, so if you don't see all your shrimp that just means that they're hiding somewhere. if they didn't hide, they would be eaten by large fish in the wild; its an instinct! :)

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
They are masters of hiding...so the shrimp could be hiding anywhere in your tank.
Side note: I had one shrimp that managed to get into my filter...not sure how because it would have had to crawl against the out flow but whatever it died. My theory is that my Dwarf Puffer drove it to suicide. :p

I don't know enough about mollies to know if they could have eaten the shrimp. But from what I understand of mollies will try and eat anything that will fit into their mouth.

Last edited:

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I catch my ghost shrimp eating each other occasionally. And not just dead shrimp, but a bigger one eating a smaller one alive.