disappearing spots?

Aug 23, 2004
Hull, UK
Visit site
hey guys ive got a couple of gouramis in my tank. recently, the slighty larger one has been chasing the other around and i've noticed the spots on the smaller one have pretty much disapeared (btw they r grey with 2 black spots). just wondered if anyone knows y this has happened? the fish seems healthy, but a bit cowardly coz its always chased around by the other.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What kind of gouramis? I know several kinds of gouramis (including blue/opaline/three-spot) will generally kill or stress to death any other males in the same tank. The paleness you're seeing is from stress (either from tankmates or water parameters).

Aug 23, 2004
Hull, UK
Visit site
ok thanks for that guys. ok then, next question - how do u tell male and female apart - and although i didnt buy them (a friend did) why on earth is my LFS selling them in pairs if males shouldnt really be tanked together??

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
From what you are decribing i would say they were both males. Males have a long pointed dorsal fin, whereas females have a rounded shorter one. If they are both males, i would say you only option would be to take one back.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
the smaller male is losing his colour as a sign of submission to the larger fish - it's a way of showing he knows the other fish is boss, and doesn't want to appear to be a threat (typically to breeding, which is where the colouration comes in - the most coloulfull male is the most attractive to a female)

this happens with a lot of fish - not just gouramis

so - work out what stays and what goes - but it won't work as it is now......