DISCUS IN A COMMUNITY TANK

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i love discus fish, and i was wondering if you can have them in a community tank? i know that they have to have a higher water temp then other fish, but what is the lowest temp that they can survive comfortably? and does any one else have discus in a community tank?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
You can have them in a community tank, but it is one that is built and stocked around the Discus. Most fish you find can not tolerate the temps discus need long term, then there are other problems like some community fish just being too active. This can keep the Discus spooked to the point they won't eat.

Some good tank mates for Discus are (but not limited to) rummy nose tetras,cardinal tetras, a species of black water BN like L183, GBR, certain species of Corie's. There are others but all these fish will do fine in a discus community setup.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
JWright said:
And just to state it explicitly... Blood Parrots would not be suitable tank mates.
i was just going to ask about the parrots. well i do have a 55 gal that i can set up and do the discus in there with other suitable tank mates.

and are gouramais okay to put the in 95 gal with the parrots?

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
Pure

whats your suggestion... should i wait to have the discus in my 55 gal (soon to be set up) with other suitable tank mates. or should i do a trail run with the discus and the parrots.

the tank is arriving today and its coming with the parrots and some others. so i really don't know how they are. i should have bf ask when he goes their today and picks the tank up.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Under no circumstances should you mix your parrots with the Discus. Wait for the 55 for the discus.

If you want PM me and I'll hook you up with some good sources for Discus in Florida. Pet shops normally charge 2 to 3 times what they should.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
Pure

yeah that would be great. i actually live in southwest fl (port charlotte, fl) its about 1 hr south of sarasota, fl and 1 hr north of fort meyers. i don't know if you are fimilar with those cities. but you are way up there about 6 hrs from me. and i will wait for the 55 gal to get set up. also how about adding gouramis to the tank with the parrots. sorry i am so new at this fishkeeping stuff i still don't know what fish can go with the other. :(

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Pure said:
Depends on the parrots. It could go smooth or bad.
Like I said up there. BPs are either sweet and shy or mean and nasty. You can give them a try but keep an eye on things and make plans to take someone out if it get's ugly.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Don't add any new fish for at least a few weeks while your tank settles down and the fish recover from the move. Make sure you own a freshwater test kit so that you can test the water, drops work best, don't waste money on the test strips. I would hold off on the discus fish if you are new to fish keeping. Discus are generally regarded as one of the most difficult fish to keep. They have very specific needs, and you definately need to read up on them before you even set up the tank. My suggestion is that you run your 95 gallon for awhile and get the hang of keeping the water parameters good, and just get used to and experience in fishkeeping in general before you set up another tank. This site has a wealth of information if you need help on anything, so don't hesitate to post. Discus are often very expensive fish and hard to keep, so hold off on buying them until you know what you're doing. :)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
do a lot of research
with a 55g you can get 5 discus comfortably to live there. no more should be kept in it....get them young too! and keep in mind colors will change. definately be careful about getting the fish. watch how they react and stuff.

i got mine all for 17$ cept a couple