Discus Wasting

Jan 9, 2008
San Antonio Texas
You are the experts, you tell me if it's a losing battle. I have a runt discus that the bigger guys kept away from the food...he began to look thin, and I discovered him trying to swim upright and not making it...floated to the bottom and kept trying to right himself. I moved him to a hospital tank and supplied him with food, but he wont eat. Is he too far gone..? He looks skeletal, but is swimming ok now. Any advice?

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Well it depends on how long he has stopped eating. If its been atleast a month hes definatly a goner. You made the right decision to move him to a qt tank. Try feeding him live black worms. No discus can resist these worms, its like crack for them. If hes still not eating the worms then its probably internal parasites. Metrodizinole would be the best med to treat him. Try going to your LFS and look for somthing called metro+. It contains mostly metrodizinole and some other good stuff and its a lot cheaper then pure metro. Get some live black worms. poor some metro in with a cup of the live black worms and let them soak for about two hours. Then feed to your discus and hopefully he gets better. Make sure your doing 50% water changes for the qt tank everyday. Next to metro, water changes are the best medication you can provide for a discus. Good luck