dissappointed with LFS

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
we went to our local pet store to see about ordering fish and getting some live plants. They know less about fish and tanks than I do, and that is a very sad thing.

No live pants. They said they order them in, but for some reason they keep dying. The store just can't keep live plants alive. I asked if they had any fertilizer for live plants anyway, and the guy (kid really. He was about 16) said "fertilizer??" I said "yes...to keep live plants alive in my tank when I get some from PETSMART" He just looked at me blankly and then tried to sell me ammonia neutralizer. UGH! good grief!

I guess I will be ordering the fish I want that I can't get from any of my local options online this fall when it isn't so hot.

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
It is the only pet store with in a 60 minute drive. Even our local Walmart quit selling fish completely and hardly have any tank supplies. And across the state line, I only know of Petsmart and Petco. The LFS was called Aqua-tropics and the last time we went in they were getting rid of their fish, at least fresh water, and focusing on birds and reptiles. :eek: guess they will have to change their name LOL

I will have to go to yellowpages.com and see if there isn't anything else. I sure wouldn't trust MY local store here to special order any fish in if they can't manage to keep any live plant alive.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We used to have to drive a couple of hours to get to a decent store with interesting fish and plants. I did end up ordering more online, or traveling every couple of months to find what I wanted.

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums has an excellent reputation, although the prices are not low. They take really good care of their fish, and pack and ship with great care.

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums has an excellent reputation, although the prices are not low. They take really good care of their fish, and pack and ship with great care.

Thanks for the link. I haven't ever ordered online, but there are some fish I would like to get that I haven't found locally. I would like to get some type of rainbow, the more colorful ones. And some Danios...although the fish stores do carry some danios and gourami

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
I end up driving for hours for any good LFS's too.

On-line, I have had good luck with aquariumplants.com for plants and liveaquaria.com for fish.