DIY Cichlid Lava Rock Caves

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
-=GASP=- I know...Froggy posting a thread in the DIY section...everyone is just coming to see how many things I blew up or had to replace during the process :D

As some of you know...I recently acquired a 29G tank from a neighbor and have it cycling. I decided that 29 was big enough to get some cichlids and I haven't ever had any so I would go ahead and try a cichlid tank. I decided on some Tanganyikan cichlids, who were mostly rock/cave dwellers....and promptly realized that to create caves I'd have to use rock. *cringe* I'm scared of putting rocks in my tank...scared I'm going to drop them or they're gonna be too heavy or they're going to fall and squish my fish...whatever the case may be...they FREAK me out.

SO one of my friends (from this board...once he see's the finished project he's going to make a decision whether he wants to be known who he is haha) was helping me come up with ideas and showing me some DIY cichlid caves from other places. Then we were talking about how heavy rock was...and it came up that lava rock is relatively light. SO the idea emerged to use PVC (or ABS) piping as a base...and cover it with lava rock pieces using silicon to create some cavelike structures.

Overall...this project cost me about 4 dollars for a bag of lava rock (which I have used about 3/5 of and might use more just for the bottom of the tank) and then $5 for each tube of silicon (I used 3.5 tubes...will talk more about this). I got the ABS Pipe for free from my dad's work, he cut them etc...but I believe you can get sections at any hardware store for less than a dollar a foot...so its not a huge expense. The biggest cost was in TIME. It took WAY more time and effort than I thought it was going to...but in the end I am pleased to say that I think it looks good.

Step 1: Figure out a layout that you'd like and silicon pieces of ABS piping to each other. Allow silicon to set for 24 hours before doing anything with it.

Step 2: Wash and dry lava rock pieces. This takes longer than it sounds. Washing not so long...but they literally took overnight to dry. SO I ended up washing some each night, then letting them dry overnight...adding them to the structures the next day and then washing and drying some more.

Step 3: Use aquarium silicon to begin securing the pieces of lava to the piping. This is a bit like putting a puzzle together that really wasn't meant to be put together. You've got solid cylinders that you're trying to stick uneven surfaces to...its way harder than it sounds.

begin sidebar: Silicon is not terrible stuff...it just smells terrible as its setting. Also...Word to the wise. Poke a big enough hole in the top of the silicon tube so you dont put too much pressure on the tube itself. Otherwise you get breaks in the tube and it gets all over your hands. Word to the unwise...once you get silicon all over your hands, just let it dry and then peel it off of your hands. Trust me, thats the easiest way to do it. end sidebar.

Step 4: Cover all of the visible areas with lava rock. Let the silicon cure for at least 48 hours before putting it into a tank. You'll know its dry and cured when it stops stinking!

I dont have pictures to attach and post right now...but here is a link to what I have pictures of. www.geocities.com/silverbelle94/lava.html

I finished the rocks a couple days ago and will be putting them into the tank this afternoon...so I will get some final pictures and put them up for you to check out.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Sounds nice! Cant wait to see pictures of the structures in the tank. (remember, you promised!)

I agree with the bit on the handling of the silicon. It can be a pain once you get it on your hands. When I was using it, I ended up wearing a pair of new dish gloves to keep the stuff off of me. (and for some reason, making the hole larger never occured to me:rolleyes: )

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If I had to do it again I would use one of the big tubes of silicon that you can put in a caulking gun and do it that way. But I honestly didn't think it would take that much!

DannyJ88

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2004
NewHampshire
Visit site
I used to be afraid of using rocks too but not any more. I have giant rocks in almost all of my tanks. The best part is they're free cuz i just find them outside and you never get 2 rocks that are exactly alike so each tank has its own special character. Here's my old 29 with the rocks.

I always set up the rocks before so i can see the most solid way to set them up where its gonna take more than just a little bumb to knock them over.

Attachments

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Lookin pretty good there. Right now the rocks just scream out, LOOK AT ME! lol However, I think that the white wall behind it has a lot to do it, so once a darker background is put on it, it might help tone it down a bit. :) Mixing some black sand would look nice in there too.

Also some tall plants, especialy on the left side behind the rocks, would really look good IMO. Mabey even try a little java moss in a few places on the rocks. Easy to grow and should do ok in there.

Great job so far Froggy!

So, how bout them fish?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Patience is right Lotus...man this hobby tests your patience fom time to time eh?

Orion - I totally agree. I'm sitting here wondering what kind of background would be best...if I should do a solid color or maybe one of the rock backgrounds? I dont have enough light to do live plants really...but I think plants would work well to cover up more of the black parts that I didn't do...(sitting here I see more that I should have done) (btw there are some pictures of a couple of the fish on my website www.geocities.com/silverbelle94/29g.html )

I know the tank isn't ready for the rate my tank section yet heh but I wanted to show it off a lil.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I would go for a solid background. This way the background does not take the focal points away from the actual tank.

...(sitting here I see more that I should have done)
Ahhh yes. I understand all too well. But remember or even write down what you dont like, or would do different, and next time ( and yes, there will be a next time) you can improve.

Great looking fish Froggy! Im so jealous that you were able to get the J. transcriptus!! I hope I can be able to get some when they come in.

Looking at your tank somemore, I realize that the structure on the left side, the box looking one, does not look right. What I meen is it looks too symetrical. Mabey you could take some other rocks and lean up aginst it to try and break the look up some. Possabley even a med. sized plant in front of it. Just something to create some contrast in shape around it.

*Im still jealous over the fish. :p

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Haha well I can attribute the good fortune of the fish on this GREAT cichlid store I have near my work (for anyone in Denver, plug for them. Called Golden Fish, just East of Wadsworth on the north side of Colfax in a little strip center) She has pretty much EVERY kind you'd ever want, she knows her cichlids and loves the business. She has some huge show tanks set up so that you can see what some of the fish look like when they're older, so you know she keeps them herself and doesn't just run the store.

Its kinda funny that the structure on the left looks square...since its made out of two round pieces...but looking at it again it sorta does look square. I think I'll head to the pet store today and see what I can find to "accessorize" the tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Didn't end up going to the store yet...but the fish are really getting used to the tank now :) I will post more pictures when I get some greenery in there and a background.