diy co2 explosions????what the???

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
just put in diy co2 today so i guess i am safe...whats this i read bout explosions with this system....it kinda sounds scary and i know my wife wont like this...i think i will take it out soon...anyone have any info bout this

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
If there is a restriction (clogged airstone, check valve in backwards, etc.) in the system, CO2 pressure will continue to build until something gives. Often, this happens in the form of what us aviation mechanic types refer to as a "catastrophic failure." For those with less technical backgrounds: It go BOOM!!

BTW, I have not personally experienced this, and judging from the smell of the spent stuff when I dump it, I don't want it to happen, either.

Just be aware and you shouldn't have any problems.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
this is a concern, but think about what you've got in your living room as it is...a big thing of water: that right there is a hazard in and of itself. I wouldn't fret about this hazard, but if it really concerns you, you could get a secondary canister to cover the first one with. Try to get something with a lid like an old plastic paint bucket or a cat sand bin, drill a hole for your exit line, and set the bottle down inside it...then if it experiences a catastrophic failure it will be fairly contained (Damage control!)

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
well what can i do to avoid it....the check valve is in bout 8 in. from the bottle...it says the arrow type head inside it points away from the bottle...which i did...is there anything i can do to avoid this...i might take it out soon as i get home...i know my wife wont be very happy if she finds this out....she might cut me off from ???????

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Like I said earlier, I really don't think this will be a problem. Most of the reports I have run across entail mixing the stuff up and leaving a solid cap on the bottle -- DOH!

Camaro had a good suggestion.

I have mine sitting an some square 5 gallon buckets that I have, but this is more to keep the bottles upright than a splattershield.

I have been using DIY CO2 for 4 months without a mishap. Hopefully others who have been doing this longer than me will chime in with their experiences also.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I can't really see how the bottle would explode before the airline did -- it's a lot softer and probably the joints on it would go before the bottle. I guess if you're using a bottle not designed to hold pressure (a non-soda bottle) there is a greater risk.

I have had DIY running for a good 10 months with no problems with excess pressure.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
im going on a year and a half without a problem...if you are really worried about the bottle holding up you could switch it every month or so....i really dont think this is going to be a problem

djlen

Large Fish
May 12, 2003
Somerdale, New Jersey
Visit site
If you have little or no back pressure(clogged air stone etc.) you will have no explosion.
Injecting through a power head or a HOB filter will cause zero back pressure, hence no explosion.
I would not recommend any type of air stone for injecting. DIY CO2 leaves a residue which will build up over time, especially on air stones, creating clogs.

Len

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
Just do a little test on the line before you screw the cam on tight, blow into the line if bubbles are comming out you will have to troubles. Do this everytime you change out the mix .

I've been a home brewer for almost ten years and have had no "catastrophic failures." *celebrate

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
thanks everyone for the input...i was reading some awful stories bout exploding bottle...some people where using glass bottles too...anyway...if i dont use a airstone u say put the tube thru the filter intake....this might sound dumb but how is this done and is the anything connected to the bottom of the tube....i have 2 pehquin 170 filters...1 intake goes half way done tank and other goes to bottom of tank...from what i read the tube is supposed to go thru the filter and down the inside of the intake....but what bout the impeller

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
^^^Its quite simple. The bubbles have only one way to go and that is up. You take the air hose that is coming from your CO2 bottle and stick it in the intake tube of your filter. If it won't fit thru the grill of your intake tube then notch out part of the intake and fit in there then.

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
look i am not trying to sound stupid but i guess i am...lol...my intake tube is J SHAPED if i cut a round hole at the top of the bend all i do is slide the tube thru....how far does the tube go down does it stick out the bottom and there is nothing on the end of the tube is there....also shouls i put it thru the long intake or the one that goes halfway....if i do it this way insted of a air stone will this make the problem of possible explosion go away....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
On the bottom of the intake, where the water goes into the tube, there is usually a little grille thing with slats in it (the thing that stops fish getting sucked up). That is where you want to put the end of the tubing. If you can't squeeze it in between the slats, you can cut one so there is room to put the tube in.

I would put it into the longer tube to help with CO2 getting dissolved. The longer it is in contact with water, the better.

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
oh i thought everyone was talking about putting it from the top of the intake where the filter is down thru the intake to the bottom...u mean let the tube hang along inside back wall of the tank the cut out 1 part of the intake cover and just place the end of the tube in there....if thats what u mean now i get it...

djlen

Large Fish
May 12, 2003
Somerdale, New Jersey
Visit site
OR, you can take a drill and enlarge the hole in the very bottom of the intake tube(below the 'grill') and stick the end of the air line up into the tube. If you cut the end of the air line on an angle it will create a point and be easier to insert in to the bottom of the intake tube. Push it up about 2" and if the intake tube is clear, when the filter is not running, you'll be able to see the bubbles and use that as a bubble counter. When running the bubbles are more of a blur and unable to be counted.
This, BTW, creates zero back pressure and little chance of any kind of explosion.
To decrease the surface disturbance which HOBs tend to create, you can put a small sponge over the bottom lip of the return on your filter and get no splashing on the surface. This will enhance the absorption rate of the CO2 for you.
Geeeeeeeeeeeeesh, I hope this is clear enough.

Len

Gnome

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Shadow Moses Island
my CO2 setup is like this :
using Mountain dew soda bottle, and I used my old customized bottle cap to connect the airline tubing which I used once for hatching shrimp eggs. Then airline connected to a valve to control the bubble, and then to a check valve, once I forgot to fully open the valve after changing the solution, and then...... arrrgghh!! the valve didnt hold the airline tubing well, so the solution squirt up to the ceiling of my room, and then splash some on my computer! dude luckily the solution is a mix of sugar and yeast, somehow it didn't affect my computer, : ) anyway just a reminder if you connect your CO2 to your canister filter and the amount of the CO2 coming to the filter is strong, it might cause your canister to stop working since to many air coming in than the water.

Last edited: