DIY LED light for 5.5 gallon Planted tank

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Broke another tank out to plant and needed some lights. LED's are all the rage and for good reason. Less heat, more energy efficient and no bulbs to replace compared to the more traditional counterparts. Also it's easy to customize an LED array to exactly the way you want it, instead of just off the shelf offerings for most lights.

Total cost for this project was $76.06. I did have a few things already, but the vast majority I did have to buy. I spent $48 and some change on the LED's, heatsink, driver for the LED's and thermal pads. The rest went to the enclosure and hanging materials. The enclosure is 18" long, and not sure how wide...not measured.

I'm going to suspend this from the ceiling. The tank is in our master bathroom on the vanity. I really messed up by not going ahead and getting optics when I got the LED stuff. I ordered everything from rapidled.com. I'm going to try some 40 degree optics so I can hang the light about 2 feet from the tank. Right now it's just spewing light everywhere.

Now, I have no PAR meter, but I chose these LED's and driver based off of other people who said that these would be a good combination in a smaller tank like this. My 2 foot light above the tank goal might be a bit high, as it may have to be closer to get the light levels where they need to be.

The enclosure is still in rough shape, not finished yet. Still have to do some finish work to it (add another piece of angle aluminium to the back, cover it with something or paint it and other small stuff). But I'm going to try to get it suspended today. When I do I'll get some more photo's up.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone's got! This was a neat project.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Eh, it depends I think on what's really cheaper. You can use u channels rather than the 'real' heatsink like I used and save some money that way. On smaller array's like this it's not a big cost difference, but on larger tanks you can actually save a bit of change.

Well I got the light hung and over the tank and I like it. It really does need the optics, wow. Now I've only got it a few inches from the top of the tank and the spill over isn't too bad, but any higher and it would go nuts. I've got a short video showing off the shimmer effect, just got to figure out how to post it. I really didn't think it would be so pronounced as it is. It's really cool.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I suck at figuring out how to post the video the way I wanted too. It's probably not me, but stupid photobucket. Anyways, video quality isn't the best, took with my tablet but the point gets across well I think with the shimmer. My largest Scarlett Badis also makes a few cameo's lol.

[video]http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/Orionsfish/?action=view&current=VID_20110810_130721.mp4[/video]

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I've got 4 Dario dario in this tank. The idea was they would use the holes in the holey rock, but they just hid under it and behind it so I took the unsightly thing out. They will be going into a 29 gallon as soon as I can get a place to set it up, and I may put shrimp or something else in this tank. I've actually done a bit of scaping in this tank since I took that vid, but it's sure not ready for prime time yet. Hoping to get a bunch of plants in the mail today with a lot of new stuff I've not tried before.