DIY skimmer plans?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I've been wanting a skimmer for the longest time, but i dont and probably wont have the money for a long time. So i want to make one, i figure i have most of the materials and even though it may not work as good it will atleast be better than nothing.

But i cant find good plans on the internet, most of them just show you what they used and how they connected them. No step by step what to do next explanations, just..."here it is, and here's what i used". I dont know much about skimmers even though i've been reading on them, i still cant put the dots together.

Can anyone direct me to a good website that has some very in detail skimmer plans, the skimmer i'm looking to make as a HOB version, and it's only for a 10-20 gallon so i'm trying not to make a huge tall one. Preferably a counter current version (the one that uses an air stone) and an easy explanation on how to gather, and return water to the tank possibly using a powerhead and no overflow box (unless you think it's a better idea).

So if anyone has the knowledge of how, or what website can tell me that would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
ahah i just found that hawkfish sandman one, just as i read that post. thanks a lot though, it's the plan i'll be using.

A question for everyone here, do i need to buy pumps to get the water to and from the skimmer, or does anyone know how to modify typical aquarium equipment (eg filter or powerhead)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
your going to need to use a powerhead with some vinyl tubing or pvc attached to the intake to pump water into your skimmer if your making a HOB then the output should just hang over the edge of the tank and water will just go back in, ill take a pic of mine to show what I mean...
heres the return

intake

more intake

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
ok question, how do i do that with the powerhead?

And the skimmer i'm making is counter current, so it's going to fall down against the bubbles. So therefor, the water will be below the tank...how should i get the output towards the top of the tank? or will the pump be able to provide enough pressure to force the water back up another tube and then exit into the tank?

thanks for all the help.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
wait i'm sort of understanding this, should i just run a "hose" from the end of the powerhead that releases the water and put that hose into the skimmer intake. So in theory, the powerhead sucks in water from the bottom part and instead of going back into the water, the water is pushed up to my skimmer. Which then falls to the bottom of the skimmer which now because the skimmer is mounted higher than the tank, the output is actually higher than the upper rim of my tank. allowing water to just fall back in?

If everything above is true, will the powerhead be able to push the water high enough to reach the top of the intake?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Tested it, and it's only going around 4-5 inches so it actually worked quite well.

Now another question, the input section of the skimmer chamber, should it be below the water line or above? I ask because i was thinking, if it's above the water line then it will disrupt the foam, which seems counter-productive? And in addition, where should the water line be (the chamber's approx 12" long")

And i'm sorry i'm asking so many questions, but in order for the water inlet to be below water line...then wont the water outlet need to be higher than the inlet, thus maintaining the higher water level?