Do canister filters have to be positioned underneath the tank?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Do canister filters have to be positioned underneath the tank?

Or can they be right next to it. I have a tank on counter top and I wanted to run the canister right next to the tank for the time being. Would I be able to do that, or do I have to have it under the tank?

Thanks

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Canisters work using a lot of gravity so the least resistance possible is good. I wouldn't think your flow would be as good next to the tank as below the tank. I cut some canister tubing too long so it curls a little bit and there is a ton of difference between having it curled and having it pulled out straight.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
The pump in a cannister filter is setup to push water back into the tank, not suck it out of the tank. The filter relies on gravity and the "siphon" principle to get water into the fiter, then the pump pushes it back out.

Generally, the flow is limited by the pump, rather than the feed, since there is typically 3' - 4' of head pressure.

There will be an "optimal" position where the flows will be equal, and as you move further in either direction, the efficiency of the filter will decrease.