Do I need a protein skimmer? And more...

GatorDrew

Small Fish
Apr 18, 2006
Hello everyone,

This is my first post... I'm so excited. *PEACE!*

In any case, I have been managing plenty of freshwater tanks and have been assisting my father with his tanks (salt included). So, I finally got in my new place and wanted to setup a salt water tank as well. I've done a lot of reading and my fish store knows me by my first name.

I pretty much have it all looking good. 90G tank, plenty of live rock, good lighting, sump, heater, etc. I plan on making this a predatory tank... with my first fish most likely being a grouper or something along those lines that's pretty hearty.

In any case, I was curious do I need a protein skimmer? Some people tell me only for reef tanks others tell me it's a must for any salt tank. I'm so confused.

What about water flow? Is that a big issue for my tank?

Anything else I should look out for? Please let me know. I look forward to your response!

- AJ

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Personally I would run a protein skimmer on a 90g tank especially a predatory tank. I would looking into AquaC Remora, Coralife Super Skimmers, ASM, Euro-Reef, etc.

Flow is actually very important in a saltwater tank. Imo for a FOWLR tank you are going to want around 10-15x turnover so for a 90g that would be 900-1350gph which can be acomplished by the return pump from the sump, and either a closed loop, or a few powerheads placed in the main tank.

I would recommend getting at least 80-90lbs of live rock, and a good sized sump. What are you thinking of stocking this tank with?

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
GatorDrew said:
Hello everyone,

In any case, I was curious do I need a protein skimmer? Some people tell me only for reef tanks others tell me it's a must for any salt tank. I'm so confused.

- AJ
yes, a protein skimmer is a must. they don't work on freshwater but are a vital part of saltwater tanks, especially bigger ones since you are less apt to do 20% weekly water changes as you would in a small tank.

live rock is the best all around filter system. you'll need a ton of water movement for that much rock. 4 or 5 powerheads worth.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, predators tend to be big, messy eaters so you are going to have a lot of waste material in the tank. basically, a skimmer is going to help you pull out a lot of that before it gets really toxic

GatorDrew

Small Fish
Apr 18, 2006
Ah! Thank you very much! Any recommendations for one of my size of a tank? I have a below tank wet/dry filter so I'd prefer for the protein skimmer to be the same as well...

Thank you all very much!

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
GatorDrew said:
Any recommendations for one of my size of a tank? I have a below tank wet/dry filter so I'd prefer for the protein skimmer to be the same as well...
Well if you are going for a in-sump protein skimmer I have heard great things about ASM, Euro-Reef, and MRC. I would get a protein skimmer that can at least handle a 90 gallon although a larger skimmer is always better.