do i need a protein skimmer for my aquarium?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i have a 29 gallon aquarium that i plan to stock a little on the heavy side....do i need a protein skimmer? here are my options
1) i was originally going to use a BioWheel 170 and maybe a Red Sea Prizm Protein Skimmer (my most expensive option)
2) just a HOT Magnum Pro System- Magnum 250 Canister Filter, a whole bunch of accessories, and a biowheel PRO 30 wet/dry bio filter (this is my cheapest option)
3) a Fluval 180gph canister filter with a fluval surface skimmer (would the skimmer work as a protein skimmer for any canister filter?)---could i use the Fluval Surface Skimmer with option #2?

--so confused--
:confused: :confused: :confused:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you're going to stock heavy then you definittely need a skimmer, and I recommend you not getting the prizm as they are hard work (I have one). It will remove much organics before they get to your biofilters. If this is confusing to you , you need to do a lot of research before parting company with your money. Buy some books first.

What are you going to stock? Will you have live rock?

I'm going to give you a big tip - if you haven't done this before, don't stock heavy as it will make your life hell. Stock light and enjoy. Would you rather have 3 small happy fish or 6 dead ones? This sounds harsh, but you as may well hear it upfront becoause it's the honest truth. Read some of the old posts on this site to get the picture

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I agree, there is no reasone to stock a tank "heavy" all it does is mess with your water condintions, ( your tank will never really cycle) and all your fish will either get sick and die from infection or from toxin levels, u never should stock on the heavy side, always less than you think you can handle means much less of a headache and much less wasted money which is what will happen, read the posts, your not speceal and the conditions in your tank wont be any different from those that had overstocking problems before you, I never get why people think they can ooverstock, its bad for everybody(except maybe the lfs hehe)
so anyways, understocka nd enjoy your tank, please dont make us say we told you so

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
salt water stocking rule of thumb is 1" of fish for every 10 gallons. so you can have one 3" fish. You can have more if you know what you are doing. it just means more maintenance. And salt water fish are not forgiving if you ever get lazy or just forget.

A surface skimmer and a protein skimmer are very different items. and i would definatly recommend both for you tank

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Sinasster's rule for stocking a saltwater aquarium is inaccurate. Generally allow 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons. If you are using a protein skimmer and live rock.

Sam Reef
10 Gallon Marine Aquarium
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I tihnk 1 inch per 2 gallons is based on the solubility of oxygen in sea water, but I don't like it much as it always looks high to me. This sort of stocking rate doesn't have anything much to do with waste removal. 1 inch every 4 or 5 gallons is a lot more sustainable i.m.h.o.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You're sticking to that 1 inch per 2 gallons. Same for Fish only and reefs? What about if you're using a natural system or a wetdry?
I've seen people say 1 inch per 2 gallons for FO, but for reefs 1 inch per 5 gallons, but get there slowly. But for me, all these inch per gallon rules are quite ridiculous, especially in small volumes of water. a 5 inch fish in a 10?