Do i need a protein skimmer?

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
Hi im wondering if i need a protein skimmer. my tank is a 20 gallon it has 15 lbs of live rock and 25lbs of live sand it has a peguin 330 on it. it will be fish and live rock only
Also if i need a skimmer is a SeaClone or a Visi-Jet a good choice thanks

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
A protein skimmer is always a good idea. your tank is kinda small but could accept a seaclone hanging on the back. My best advice is that since there are so few salt fish that will be very happy in a 20 gallon, just wait till you upgrade to a larger tank. although possible, i guarantee you too will soon feel the need for a larger tank as it will open up so many more possibilities. For now you will be fine without a protein skimmer as long as you can keep up on your weekly water changes, and dont over stock. as the rule of thumb for salt water is 1" of fish for every 10 gallons of water or in your case 1 small fish.

( And yes i know it is common for keepers of nano reefs to stock beyond the general rule. But this is far advanced, keep in mind that everyone needs to start with the basics )

KennethT

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
I have a skimmer on my 10 gallon nano-reef, but I only turn it on like once a month. The live rock and live sand work very well in a small system. The skimmer also removes small organisms that my corals and featehr dusters use for food. I would say to just save your money for something else. As for fish, I'd look at non-aggressive fish and maybe some macroalgae to help with nitrates and ammonia.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
To use or not use a protien skimmer really depends upon the stocking level and size of your tank. A large number of fish in a small tank is going to produce a large amount of organic waste, in which case you most certainly would want a protien skimmer, especially if a person doesn't intend to be anal-retentive about water chaning at least once or twice a week. If the person is using tap water, than a protien skimmer might also be necessary since tap water also contains dissolved organics that could over-enrich the water in a marine tank.

On the same coin, I have also had tanks without protien skimmers and they have been just fine. I like to keep them understocked though, and these tanks have usually been ones that I've been able to refresh with natural sea water, which in and of itself, contains little dissolved organics because it is removed with wind and wave action (what a protien skimmer mimics).
~~Colesea

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
Hi thanks for the info so far. I am leaning towards getting a skimmer the only ones available locally are the Visi-Jet, red sea Prizm, SeaClone 100, and Skilter 250
which of these would be best for a tank being kept in a bedroom so noise is a concern. Also with a good skimmer what type of stocking levels should i be able to maintain with a weekly or biweekly water change?

KennethT

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
I have the Skilter 250 on my tank. Everyone complains about them, but I like mine, so far. When you get ready to go to bed, just shut off the venturi tube and it's silent, just like a power filter. Just be sure to not let too much air in, or it will overflow the cup and flood. This happened to me when I first got it and I thought my tank had sprung a leak. I put up some new pics in the nano discussion section, if you'd like to see.

Last edited:

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
people complain about all the low end skimmers. but bottom line is that they all work. Any skimmer that will earn respect from others is at least $300. so stick with the low end models.. at least for now.

The seaclone skimmer is a decent setup, but it is rather tall. The 100 may be taller than your tank, also keep in mind that the sea clone has a big power head and intake filter that will take up alot of room inside your tank and look very ugly doing so.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No you odn't need one , but you'd better stay on the ball with water changes. If you're getting one for a bedroom beware the prism is pretty noisy, so you might want to go for a air driven (if you can find a queit airpump).
Little fishtanks are quite frustrating as not much will go in, so it's more interesting to go inverts. Then you decide to crank up your lighting and your little tank costs as much as a 55 plus FOWLR