DO I NEED A PROTEIN SKIMMER

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
i have gone from site to site seeing if i need one and get 50% saying i do and 50% saying i dont me and my dad are goin to try to set one up on christmas and before he goes and buys stuff for it i want to know wat we need. Pretty much everything else yu need everyone thinks yu need it except a protein skimmer so if you use one or wud suggest i get one tell me thx*thumbsups

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
YES!!!! Protien Skimmers help out alot!!
In SW you dont use a filter. They just remove trace elements that are important to your eco-system (some use empty ones just for water movement but its not neccessary). Instead you use powerheads, live rock, and protien skimmers.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yup, definitely want a skimmer for anything over 30 gallons or so. Unless you want to do lots of water changes and keep a very low stock, but a skimmer is definitely worth the investment.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A protein skimmer is not essential but it is very useful. It works by removing organics BEFORE they enter the nitrogen cycle, and thus reduces the load on your filtration system. A decent protein skimmer is not a cheap thing, but cheaper ones are rarely good performers, and this is one area not to skimp.
Some people will tell you that you don't need one for fish, only corals. This is not true - as fish are messy, it seems to me you have MORE need for a skimmer on a fish only tank as there is more mess. Now fish are more tolerable of shabby water conditions than inverts (generally), but you still don't want a high maintenance, dirty, algae ridden wreck.

Also filters do not remove trace elements - there is a lot of mythinformation in salt water. I would strongly advise that you read the Paletta book, and assume and plan that you are going to succeed