Do i need underwater current?

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Ok i have 29 gallon freshwater tank with below fish in it. Do i need to get something to create a current in the tank itself? The filter is rated at three times my tank per hour at least. But i am not sure if i am getting good circulation within the tank.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
It's not really needed, but if you don't see it as extra cost and effort, the pleco would appreciate it. I have a 29gal and I have a submersable filter in there (it's basically a powerhead with some media) and my L204 Flash Pleco LOVES it. What kind of pleco do you have? If it's a common, (and you probably know this) you probably need to give him back or get a MUCH larger tank.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
yes it is a common, but right now he is only 2.5 inches. When he gets too big for my tank will either sell/trade him... he only cost 5 dollars so not bank breaking price there. I plan on bigger tank within the next year once we get into house instead of apartment. So what type of powerhead is good for the value? I don't know what a powerhead is so my assumption is it goes in the water and just pushes water through it to make currents. I might look into one just for experiments and such.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yep, you got the idea. I don't use powerheads much, so I'm not sure on the brands, but seems they are all pretty good from what I hear. I'll let someone else comment on that more. I got a bunch of submersable filters for free with a few tanks I got, so I have just been using those as powerheads and a little extra filtration.

Yeah, there are so many pleco's out there that are much better than commons for smaller tanks, you should check out planetcatfish.com and exoticfinds.net and pick one you really like that stays smaller. I LOVE my Flash pleco, and if you check out FishGeek's post in the general forum, the Leopard Frog Pleco is pretty awesome too. They do come with a bit of a heavy price tag, but they are very much worth it! :)

J.B.

Small Fish
Oct 18, 2006
I always use Aquaclear powerheads, and haven't had any problems. For your 29g, I'd recommend the 201 with a quick filter on it. You can put just the powerhead in there without the quick filter to circulate the water, but you might as well get some extra mechanical filtration while you're at it. Here is a picture of both of them, so you know what you are looking for.

J.B.

Attachments

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Just to clarify...your current filter is just a powerhead and it is rate about 3x gph of your tank? Usually with power filters, HOB types, you want to shoot for like 10x the tank gallons per hour. The biggest concern with water movement usually isn't in the tank, as long as you have some it should be fine, but the more surface agitation you can get the better. If you don't have any water breaking the surface then your oxygen level is going to be too low in the tank. Bubble walls or airstones will also increase surface agitation. If you only have a powerhead I would definitely add a powerfilter to that to give your bacteria somewhere substantial to colonize.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
i have surface aggitation from the bubble strip and the two bubble stones i have in the tank already. I am looking at adding the powerhead for current only to give a different environment for the fish. I have a bio wheel marine land filter that does pretty good with filtering and such. I have many flat surfaces within the tank and places for bacteria to colonize i believe. Would adding the powerhead to create a current ruin the bacteria in the tank at all?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Froggie, I think he meant that his filter was rated for a larger tank.

Nope powerhead will not have any negative affect on the bacteria, in fact if you put anything like a prefilter on the powerhead, it will give more surface for the bacteria to colonize.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
VirgoWolf said:
Nope powerhead will not have any negative affect on the bacteria, in fact if you put anything like a prefilter on the powerhead, it will give more surface for the bacteria to colonize.
exactly. bingo.

Although since you already have a biowheel filter I wouldn't think a powerhead would be necessary. Some fish really like a lot of current and others aren't so keen on it. There are some really great powerheads that have adjustable rate flows on them and all kinds of interesting features...you just dont usually see them being used in freshwater tanks unless in conjunction with a UGF or a reverse-UGF, more in saltwater.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Froggie

I have the Marineland Penguin biowheel 150. The product is rated to cycle 150gph according to the website and the details on the box. It is for 30 gallon tank as well. If i do add the powerhead i will get filter for it as well to create a better environment. Your post sorta confused me i had to think, i remember i posted that info somewhere but i was off on my guess on rate of gph. Is this filter suffice for the tank or should i have gotten bigger?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sorry didn't mean to confuse! :eek: If your filter is rated 150gph with a 30 gallon (easier to do the math than 29 lol) then your filter is rated to go through your total tank volume 5 times in an hour (30gallons and 150 gallons an hour). SO that is probably fine. I'm not sure if there is a ton of difference in the amount of water a biowheel filter should push vs a powerfilter w/o a biowheel. Usually I see it suggested 10x your tank, so at least 100gph for a 10g tank, but none of those rules are written in stone of course they're just ballpark guidelines. I've also seen it suggested that you do at least 2x your tank. I think probably the best way to know if your filter is enough for your tank is how clean it is and if it can handle the bioload of the fish you have without spikes. (after your tank is cycled)