do i really have to

shark shak

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2006
every one is telling me two check the paremeters on my 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks.why,my fish are doing just fine,and all the fish are helathy.the only problems i have is in the 20 gallon my bala sharks are chickens and in my 10 gallon one of my tinfoil barbs wont eat.but i dont think that has anything to do with the paremeters,does it?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you don't check the parameters regularly, things will get out of whack before you know what hit you. Then your fish will succumb to illness.
Your barb not eating and your balas hiding may indeed have something to do with your water condition. You'll never know until one dies if you don't check your water.
If you want to have healthy fish, check the water. It's all part of responsible pet care.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Well you can get stuff to test your water for an average of about $10 or you can go to your LFS and get it tested. And they do it for free. And I think that if you were looking out for the best intrest of your fish then you would keep tabs on your water parameters.

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
the stuff I bought to test my water was $30 (its the kind with the test tubes, not the dipsticks, i've heard allot of people say they dont work that well) theres suppossed to be about 700 tests in one bottle. It test for ph, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. Its real easy to use. If I hadnt of done it, my guppies probably would have eventually died, the ammonia level got pretty high. My 30 gal tank is ok right now, but theres only 2 fish in it.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Testing regularly is very important.

One time, some tetras I had started acting funny, not eating and such. I figured it was disease and started trying to figure out how to remove them from the tank to treat them (I didnt have a hospital tank at the time so this was going to be difficult). A few days later. before I could do anything, they started dying. As a last resort, I tested my pH (I had been checking everything else every day since things started going weird), and found out that it had crashed, and was below a pH of 5. :eek:

My fish were just about as well off as they would have been swimming in soda. :rolleyes:

And thats why its important to test regularly, especially when your fish are not acting normally.