Do i still add the drops ?

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
I am currently fishless cycling, i was reading iggys recipe for it and saw this
"6. Every day, once a day, add the total amount of ammonia that it took to bring your tank ammonia test kit to 5ppm. Do this till the very end of the nitrite cycle."

do i still do this if the ammoina ppm hasnt droped from the last time, hiring the ppm even more ?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
you keep adding the ammonia to 5ppm a day until the tank can get rid of the 5ppm in one day, that is when the ammonia part is done. After this once the nitrite is reading 0 and the nitrAte is less than 1 or .5 the cycle is complete

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I don't think you have to add any more ammonia if the tank is still at 5ppm... or else you'd have it at 15ppm on day 3, and that's not right. You only want to add enough ammonia to get up to 5ppm, so if it's already there you don't want to add any more. In a few days, if it's dropping to 4ppm, you'd only want to add enough to get it back up to 5ppm, not another 5ppm worth.

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
The Cable Guy said:
Don't you have to keep adding ammonia until you put fish in? Otherwise won't the ammonia-eating-nitrite-producing bacteria die off?

I've actually never fishless cycled a tank so I'm just asking...

Yes you do have to keep adding it, when OCC said the ammonia part is done he meant the bacteria that handels the ammonia is in place.