Do you guys think this will hold up a 30 gallon tank?

May 26, 2009
Port Orange, FL
So I picked up a entertainment center off the side of the road. There was flooding in some houses, bottom got water damaged but it was one of those, ones that the bottom pieces swivels I removed that and the rest of the unit was bone dry.

Either way its a pretty heavy duty stand, about 33" wide tank I am looking at is 30.5" wide. Just worried about weight.

I sat on in I am like 320, it felt stable but I wouldn't exactly jump on it. I was thinking of maybe screwing in a backing piece out of 3/4 in ply(roofing stuff) I have around. Either put it "inside" the box, or just attach it to the outside.

I should expect the tank to be 225-240 going with 7.5-8# per gallon of water. Correct? Maybe abother 30-40#

You think this would be enough to hold it up? If not may just be getting a smaller tank then.

Pick is with a standard 10 g on it.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
The main thing is the frame of it. How well constructed is it? If it has good heavy corner posts supporting the top, and it has a sturdy framework on the underside of the top, you might be okay with it.

The frame supporting the top should rest on the corner posts. I think the plywood reinforcing the back would be a good idea. Also, I'd want to add a bit of reinforcement (cross brace) under the top even if it does have a good frame.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
I know the weight of 29 or 30 gal can be heavy once everything is added. And they don't reccomend dressers and little stands like that. BUT IMO dressers that are old held great. And my little stand that looked weaker then that.. Held great for 2 yrs Before I moved it.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I put my 20G tank on top of an entertainment center. It had a support in the middle and held a TV and a small stereo. The roof that the tank was sitting on started to cave in the middle, and water started to leak out because the tank was crooked... I would say the rooftop was about 1 inch thick and the 3 supports were 1inch thick on the outside, the middle was .75inch thick. The middle support was slightly closer to the right, so it was was the left region without support in between caving in.
kinda like this:

area caved in |{tank here}

Last edited:

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
I remember I had a tank for many years (so it probably was more old then anything) But I put it on a hard small table. And I started to get water leaking on the edges around the black trim at the bottom and its corner. Probably more of the stuff needed to be replaced.. But later I bought a thin mat to lay on the wood so it couchin the tank being pushed against wood so much.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Water (8.34 lb/gal.) will be around 250 lbs. plus the weight of the tank, sand etc.

If I had doubts I would stack the equivalent weight using bricks or something in the same area/foot print of the tank. The tank must sit on a flat surface for even support. If not you may experience leaking at the corners. And, with that much weight on it you can shake the stand to determine if it is sturdy enough.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I agree with sombunya. calculate all the weight and then check the stand. only way to be sure how well it will hold up. and when u check the stand see if the center starts to sag. if the center is sagging after a while u might have the same problem I had with my 10 gallon. the bottom plate of glass cracked on me. and trust me, nooone wants to deal with that mess.