Do you think you'll ever be able to get ahold of cuddlefish in this lifetime?

DannyJ88

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2004
NewHampshire
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone thinks taht someday it will be legal to keep cuddlefish. You know the 1's that are kinda like squid and they cahnge colors and stuff. People just discovered them like a few years ago. I was just wondering if you guys think it will ever happen.

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
a few years ago? ive been buying them for years! of course its dried and shredded in a plastic bag, like beef jerky, but hey its cuttlefish.:D pretty tasty actually.:D

of course i know you mean live cuttlefish, ive never seen one at any lfs here. i think it would be kinda cool to have one, but id imagine youd need a pretty big tank for them, and if there even half as smart and strong as an octopus, thered be next to no way to keep them in the tank besides a deadbolt lock on the lid.:D

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Its not illegal to buy them...but they are rare! I have not seen one on a distributor list ever. It might be easier to find a diver who can get one specifically for you.

DannyJ88

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2004
NewHampshire
Visit site
You sure they aren't illegal. I thought that because they were rare that you oculdn't because they are like endangered or something. And why woudl you need a big tank, They dont seem like they get very big. I've only ever seen then in pic and on TV but all the 1's on them are like 8" tops.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They're not vaguely endangered. You can get them now, but because they're pelagic (meaning free swimming in the middle of the ocean), require cool water and usualy darkness they're considered not easy. Best seen at the public aquarium , where they're a common display

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Hard to find? In what waters? Ever dive off of Bahia Honda Key down in Florida? Heck, alls I've ever done is snorkle off the beach and I've seen cuttlefish on every trip (that's a total of three back in 2001, for a total four cuttlefish). They're beautiful creatures, flashy colors and everything. And curious little buggers. The first pair I ever saw didn't even take off when a dozen splashing kids followed them around.

But I wouldn't want to keep one in a home aquarium. Isn't their lifespan only something like one year?
~~Colesea