Does a tank need bottom fish?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Do I really need some type of catfish or bottom fish in a tank? Mollies seem to rummage around a lot on the bottom. I have noticed even the platys doing some of that. I don't know if the otos eat anything but algae but they do seem to get more active at feeding time and I can't be sure they aren't eating some of that food also. Most of the dwarf catfish type apparently prefer a group which cuts down on the stocking. A school is recommended for otos, too, but I only have two in my 16g tank and I certainly haven't noticed any grouping tendencies with them and they've been there for over 3 months.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
+1 on what littletank said. I love me some bottom feeders, so I tend to overstock on them a bit. My platies and even my female bettas like to pick at the bottom in my 55gal, but in my 29gal, the ony fish who pick along the bottom are the ones who are supposed (the cories and the albino RTS).

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Are they needed....that depends on how much you feed, the type of food and how often you clean the tank. In my discus tank I change 50% of the water 3-4X's a week and I feed a little 2-3X's a day so I don't really need them, but I have some Cory's because I like them!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
The mollies and platys seem to do a pretty good job of picking on the bottom. I have another question - physics is a long time past for me - the vacuum I have it probably 1.25 inches in diameter. If I figure out how to put a smaller diameter tube on it would it have more suction so I could get in the little places without demolishing the scenery??