Does anyone know...

confusion

Medium Fish
May 26, 2006
aqariu.ms
guppies, mollies, platies, or swordtails would work. Make sure you get 2 females for every male. You may even be able to buy a pregnant one from your fish store. Babies are great fun. Make sure you separate them from mom and dad right as their born, though, otherwise they will get eaten. The plastic breeder tank that floats in your tank with the "V" insert is good to put mom in before she give birth, so the babies can float down where mom can't get at them.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
What tanks do you currently have running? As confusion pointed out, the more popular livebearers produce fry monthly.

Even though the "V insert" may be a way to seperate the parents from the fry, I recommend that you have a fry/outgrow tank for the little ones.

confusion

Medium Fish
May 26, 2006
aqariu.ms
From what I understand, it depends on the species. Some of them are very easy to breed, others are considered to be very hard. I believe all are egg scatterers and require places for the eggs to hatch and the fry to hide, unless you are able to remove the other fish, who will have a tendancy to eat the eggs and fry. There are lots of profiles out on the internet about the various tetra species and their breeding habits and tricks. Try to search for "XXX tetra breeding" on google.com where xxx is the type of tetra you are looking to breed.

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
i can say from recent experience, that if you look hard enough, there is a good chance that you can get a preggo fish from petsmart or some other change. I went to petsmart and asked for a female molly, and the one the guy gave me was pregnant and gave birth within 4 days.