Does anyone think this is a good deal?

Feb 7, 2008
Hey guys, I found this ad on Craigslist. I think it seems like a pretty good deal...what do you think? Is there anything I should look out for? If i go this route its more money than I wanted to invest in my tank right now but I think it would be cheaper in the long run. I mean after I buy a substrate and live rock it will be almost the price of this tank. I can take what I need and sell the rest, or sell some of my stuff, or just keep everything and have two tanks...haha jk.

Bow Front 85 gallon Complete Salt Water Fish Tank Setup

Feb 7, 2008
Yea, im gonna email the guy when i get home from work, I can't email from this computer...I hope its still available. Ill be able to either complete my tank or work with that one and get rid of mine. Im sure I won't make any money but I think I could get myself a tank for a lot less than if i built it from nothing.

Feb 7, 2008
ok so I spoke with the guy selling the first one. Im going to look at it on Saturday and if I like it I can pick it up on Sunday. It seems like it's going to take a good portion of my day breaking it down and then setting it back up when I get home plus its about an hour each way but I think I will have a pretty complete tank by Sunday night if all goes well. It would have also been at a fraction of the cost. This setup would have easily been over $3000Ill let everyone know how it goes.

-Nick

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
what you need to do is have a large volume of salt water made up ahead of going to look saturday. Get about 30/40 gallons going as you will lose some water moving it and you will want to keep as much of the system water that you can and transport the rock and fish in the tank water. Once you get it set up you will want to get the water you have made to match as closely as you can to what he had made up. REad up on wet web media and other sites about moving a tank to mitigate any problems. As I said you want to be ready with made up water to do a large water change if necessary. Breaking down a tank sometimes stirs up things a lot.

Feb 7, 2008
Im going to check the tank out on Saturday. The kid told me to plan on taking it on Sunday. So I spoke with the manager at Petco this afternoon. He told me to transport the water in a big barrel with a liner in it. Then I can just tie off the top to keep from spilling. Then told me to get a few 5gal buckets for the rock, fish and corals. The kid selling the tank said he has a ro/di water system I could buy off him for an additional $100. He said it's cool if I don't want it but he is going to make me up some water ahead of time so when I transport the tank I will pretty much have enough water. I have not seen the tank yet but it looks to be a pretty good deal. The kid basically told me he spent about $3000 on this setup and needs to get atleast 1/3 of his money back. I think it's a fair deal. He is moving from Mass to Chicago in two weeks so he needs to sell it. He also told me that the angel fish he has is worth about $100, is this true?

Feb 7, 2008
I will post up some pics if I end up getting it. Seems like the kid was really into it and bought some really nice stuff. I was going back and fourth all day if I should buy it or not. I have been looking to buy a house with my g/f in the next few months I shouldn't be spending this much on a fish tank right now. But, on the other hand I know once we buy a house Im not going to afford much so I might as well get it now.

Feb 7, 2008
well just an update...

I emailed the kid today to tell him I don't have time to go look at the tank on Saturday and then come back on Sunday a second time to pick it up. I told him I would just come pick it up Sunday and bring the cash...He emails me back saying someone else is coming to look at it tonight when he told me the earliest I could come see it was Saturday. Then he threw a line in his email back to me that this kid is willing to pay the asking price and he knows what a great deal he is getting when all I did was ask how firm he was when we spoke but confirmed I was willing to pay asking price. (Im a business man at heart, I always have to try and haggle). Oh well, There are many other deals online just like it or better. I told this kid I was going to check out other options so if his new buyer doesn't take it and he calls me Ill tell him I spent some money and only have $700 left...I was really excited about this too...pretty annoyed right now :(

Feb 7, 2008
OK.....so that kid ended up being a moron! needless to say I didn't get the tank. It may have been a decent deal but now looks like im starting from the begining once again. So, here is my new idea...

I am one of those people who like to think big. I would rather do something once than have to upgade and cause more work and money for myself in the long run. So after reading many posts on this board I see people always talking about upgrading. Well, I happen to be in New Hampshire yesterday, (I live in Mass but only 15 mins from tax free NH) anyways there is this really good pet store up there. They have more of a selection than the regular shops in the area. I found a 210 gallon tank for $650. Im not sure if thats considered a good price or not. It's a drilled tank, it has two holes on the right and two on the left and has a sort of shroud around the holes. Does this price sound about right and is that a good tank with the holes in it? This is obviously going to take me a lot longer before I get everything together, but for now I figured I could buy the protein skimmer and work on a sump/refugium with my 55gal tank.

How important is it to have a hole on one side of the sump/refugium tank? My cousin owns a glass place and was thinking of having one drilled in it. I don't think the tank is tempered so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Nick

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
wow 210 is a big jump. What is the configuration? Are you on a slab foundation as this thing is going to weigh in over a ton when you are done and you want to make sure your floor will support it. This will take a much bigger skimmer and equipment. I would lean more towards a 150-180....Remember the costs to run this are going to be higher too. But a really nice tank it would be.

Feb 7, 2008
Yes, this is a pretty large jump. This will be set up my basement for now, I am planning on moving in the future but my brother is a contractor so im sure reinforcing the floor wouldn't be too much of a problem. I found a skimmer at the store that is good up to 220 gals (actually would that be enough or do I have to factor in the sump/refugium too?) Im not sure on the configuration but it's about 6 feet long or so and atleast 24" wide.

So, in the very near future im going to purchase the skimmer and set up the refugium. There is no point in buying the tank yet if its just going to sit around until I have the money to buy the other stuff...so this is def going to be a lot longer process. I think in the end though, it will be well worth it. I am now expecting to not even have any fish until next year sometime. This tank is going to cost me a small fortune..haha

Feb 7, 2008
oh yea, im looking forward to it! BTW, I was just thinking about the montly cost. I guess I have been so excited about just putting it all together I haven't put too much thought into the money it is going to cost to maintain once complete. I mean I know montly water changes are going to cost around $20 in salt alone. Assuming water is free, what are the monthy charges I will have to look forward to. ie electric, other chemicals ect... On a 210gal tank can I assume around $50-$75 a month or is that low balling it?