Does not like light

Apr 25, 2006
My fish only comes out when the tank light is off. Does any one know why? Are most bottom feeders nocturnal? I have a florescent light and white gravel, could this be making it too bright?:confused:

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
UP UP AND GUPPY said:
YES!!! White gravel when hit by light causes it to be brighter and makes your fish seem pale. My suggestion is to get darker gravel, the lighting should be fine but maybe try to find something thats a little dimmer but still to where you can see the fish. Yes, most bottomfeeders are nocturnal.

Dito. I wish they would tell people this in the store but then again, i wish they did ALOT in the store;)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A gravel change will probably disrupt the bacteria and give you a small ammonia/nitrite spike, especially if the tank is new.

Lots of hiding spaces often make fish feel more secure. You might try that before you change the substrate.

It would be helpful if you said what fish it is :)

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site
if you change the gravel get some pantyhose and take a bunch of your old gravel and scoop it into them then tie it off and put it into a bucket of your tank water then once youve emptied and reset it up put the ball of old gravel inthere for awhile to help re-establish your tank. atleast thats what ive read.

Mar 14, 2006
b4 changing gravel...

-create atleast 3 caves
-put some fake plants in there
-think about a dither dish)fish to distract a semi-aggressive fish(i.e. use some cherry/tiger/panda/rosey barbs) your shark will comeout to "defend" it's territory

hope that helps