Dojo Loach Tank size

zinful

Small Fish
Jul 24, 2005
I'm currently cycling my 29g tank, and I am wondering if I could have 2 dojo loaches in there- my plan is only for one and I don't want the poor guys to be puny and crowded, but the tank seems like it could be large enough (and two is always more fun than one!). I am brand-new to this fish-owning thing :) and don't want to hurt my new babies. Should I bother with more than one fish at all; and if I do, should I go for variety?

The people at the pet store were very little help (seemed rude in an attempt to hide they knew not much more than me) and I'm having problems finding the answer on the web.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think you could have two dojos in a 29g. There are varying reports of their adult size, some say 6", others say 8" or 10". Mine seem to have gotten to about 6" and stopped there. I would say two are much more fun than one, mine certainly are more fun with two than when I had one. You could probably add a few other small fish to the tank without any problems, perhaps a small school of rasboras or maybe small tetras.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're getting them all at once (or within a day or two of eachother), I don't really see the point in quarantining, other than it's usually easier to treat in an undecorated tank, and observation can be easier. If you're getting some one week and some another week, I'd recommend quarantine.