DOMINO DAMSELS vs. MAROON CLOWNFISH

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
Well my GIRLFRIEND some how talked me into buying 2 maroon clown fish for my tank. I still have the 2 damsels in there and I'm WONDERING how long every one will get along they're both supposed to be a fairly aggressive fish it's been about a week with both of them in there and so far the little maroon was only attacked the first day now they all swim around together well sometimes. I want to get rid of the damsels but I was just wondering if I left them in there for like a year maybe 2 which i'm not. But which fish would win would one of the damsels eat another damsel and there'd be 2 clowns and a fat damsel or would the maroon's win? anyone wanna think it through and let me know what they think my thought's were the maroon would win. I know this is a stupid post and WAYNE i'm sorry your probably shaking your head and thinking this guy wants a reef tank...YEAH RIGHT...

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Actually it really depends on size - Domino damsel's are known to be more aggresive when they are larger but if they are small and the clowns are small they might be alright but you should have added the damsels last.

if they are the same size the should be alright for a little while.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
uh yah...as you know, this is just asking for trouble...i would say the damsels will win too...as DSK points out, they get more agressive as they get older, but being the first fish in the tank they will have established territory already, so when the clowns venture into it its a brawl waiting to happen

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
1979 --- If you look a little closer -- I said add the damsels last --- therefore cause the (less aggressive clowns) to establish there territory first. so the damsels could possibly find a different territory to maintain. but on this ? it is quite the toss up.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

ok i will solve this

when i put my tomato clown with my barracod, the cod went of his head, he flogged the old girl. take out the damsels and replace then in a couple of days the clown then has right and the damsels will kinda settle in after that, this worked with the cod and clown.

( as you two have also said in about way. ) remove the problem and re-introduce later

then when the damsels get bit bigger they will both attack the clown and destroy her slowly with vicious and nasty attacks and when you wake up the clown will be floating and the damsels will look all inocent.

conclusion : scoop - drop in barracod tank - no more problem

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't see the point in setting things up for a little while if you know sooner or later there'll be loads of hassle, which will equally hassle you as you try to contain it.
Take the dominoes back, and keep the maroons. Or take them all back. The maroons will get too big for a 20, and in a years time you won't be able to keep anything else in there. Get some tomatoes or clarkiis