DONE with livebearers!

Aug 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Visit site
Not that I don't like Livebearers, but I only have a 10G tank and the male swordtail died after a year and a half in March, and the female died after 2 years last week. I don't know what she had, but she got this huge white sore thing that bulged out on her side and her scales were sticking out like dropsy so I made the decision to euthanize here. It didn't seem like it effected the rest of the tank at all. All the other fish are fine.

So...right now I have 4 red-eyed tetras in my 10G. I was thinking of going to the fish store and replacing my two swordtails. I'm notoriously fearful of overstocking my tank.

So do you guys think I could get one more red-eyed tetra and say, one of those small dwarf gouramis (the blue ones?) Or should I just get one more tetra? Or do you think I should get two more tetras and keep it a single species tank to make the tetras happy? What do you think I could get away with?

Aug 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Visit site
Yeah, they don't look like that much, the red-eyed tetras, but I'm really fond of them. The four I have are in this wonderfully convenient decending size order, so they look kinda funny when they shoal. Maybe I'll go get two more red eyes today. :)

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
I have 4 tetras (orange von rio) and a dwarf male gourami in my 10 gal. They seem to be getting along fine. I made sure that I had plenty of plants in there though. My gourami liked to chase the tetras at first, but this got much better when I divided the tank up a bit with some extra plants. Everyone was happer after that. I could add a couple more tetras, but I'd like to get an algae eater sometime soon too, so I probably won't.