double-tail bettas

fishdude07

Superstar Fish
Mar 30, 2004
Michigan
www.freewebs.com
hey i was thinking about getting 2 male bettas (with a divider of course!) for my new 5 gallon minibow some time in the future...so i looked up information and pics of crowntails and doubletails (i think id want a crowntail and a doubletail) and found this page: http://www.bettatudes.com/care/betta-types.php and the page says this for double tails: "A type of betta with a mutated gene that causes the caudal fin to be divided into two lobes." so does this mean double-tail bettas are genetically mutated? or are they a natural type of betta? thanks in advance

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
I'm guessing your going to put a divider in the tank, right???

"A type of betta with a mutated gene that causes the caudal fin to be divided into two lobes."-

That means that they were genetically mutated, just like it says.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Mutations

No, genetic mutations are not necessarily done by humans.

Kyle, you need to know a thing or two about genetics and biology. A gene mutation can happen naturally, and they frequently do during the reproduction of cells.. In fact, evolution is made possible solely due to these mutations. Through many generations, the organisms with the mutations that best aid in survival are the ones that thrive and reproduce the most, leading to gradual change in the species. If groups of a single species are split up, they can evolve and develop unique sub-species. The Twin-Tail is an example of a sub-species.

A Twin-Tail Betta is just like any other Betta. Don't worry.

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
He asked if they were genetically mutated. The site says they were have a mutated gene, there fore they were genetically mutated. I said nothing about humans doing anything.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
well- I am by no means an expert on genetics- hybridization is the crossing of two different species, yes. A mutation can be nearly anything- why you have a certain eye color, hair color, etc. Sometimes people cotrol mutations within a species, sometimes they do not. Okay- take bettas for example. In the wild, bettas do not have the flowing fins they do in captivity, for obvious reasons, it's not practical. A flowy finned betta would be picked off pretty quickly in the wild. However, somewhere along the way once they were kept in captivity, some breeder produced a longer finned betta. The gene was there dormant, but was not selected in the wild. in captivity, where preadators are not an issue, humans could selectively breed for the naturally occurring but not naturally selected (so to speak) gene. So having eliminated the practical obstacles to that gene, we can nurture it- we do it in all species we breed, horses, dogs, you get the picture. we select through breeding for any number of characteristics, ear length, color, all sorts of things. Does that make sense? I'm not very good at 'splaining things.

Geo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
geo-san.dyndns.org
I think the best way to put it, instead of saying mutated, is that Doubletails and Crowntails have been selectivly bred for those traits from the wild strains of the Betta splendens.

Ahh, there. No confusion about mutations now! ;)