double tail/veil tail

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Hello,
I want to breed my bettas, and I have a double tailed male, and a normal (veil tail) female. These are both pet store bettas so they have mixed genetics. I was wondering if breeding these two is a good idea ( is there a possibility of deformities?) and how many fry would have the double tail? :)

exodon

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2003
western canada
www.myfishtank.ca
breeding betta

o where is the mathematician now...

cant really say on who gets what tail.

The bettas that are bred by most hobbyists are bubblenest breeders. In preparation for spawning, the male betta will construct a floating bubblenest, often of immense size. When completed, the male will entice the female to swim underneath the bubblenest. Embraced by the male, the female will release her eggs, which are fertilized by the male. As the eggs fall to the bottom of the tank, the male scoops them up and places them inside the bubblenest. A few days later, small betta fry will be observed swimming near the surface of the water.

"To successfully breed bettas, care and attention must be focused on this spawning behavior. Understanding the spawning process and following a few simple steps will ensure a successful effort on your first attempt.

The first step in a breeding program is to select a suitable breeding site. This can be a standard small aquarium (10 gallons or less), a plastic box that is watertight or even a clay pot. You should look for a container that will hold at least 2 to 3 gallons of water. If you don't have an extra aquarium available, try one of the clear plastic boxes sole for clothing storage. About the only consistent requirement for a spawning tank is that it allow a water depth of 4 to 6 inches. In my breeding setups, I always keep a dozen 2 1/2-gallon plastic tanks prepared for spawning fish."

Taken from ...
http://216.168.47.67/CIS-Fishnet/AFM/G29047.htm

Aquarium Fish Magazine Article.

In addition, one must "introduce" the bettas, depending on how they initailly react at first.
Pay close attention to behaviors when breeding them cuz thats where the most interesting parts occure.
Some people have had good luck using Indian Almond Leaves... (please correct me if Im wrong on this...)
as they provide the proper conditions.

Ive never bred one but Ive seen many nests built. Its kinda cool.
I have a nice blue crown tail in a 90 with his lady, but she's reluctant. I dont expect them to, but if it happens, I hope to see it.
Anyway good luck.

Mar 11, 2003
What you will get is a ST/dt meaning that it will SHOW a Single Tail, but it will carry the Double Tail gene. You see, the DT is a recessive trait, so you must have 2 DT genes to get a DT. Lets say you breed those two together: You will most likely get all STs, unless your female carries DT. In that case, you will get some DTs and some STs. How ever you CANNOT breed two DTs together or you risk having bent spines, way too short of bodies, and other deformities. So breeding a betta from their offspring to the father (inbreeding is okay in bettas) will be the safe route to getting DTs.

Genetics isn't my thing, but I do know that much. I don't really like the idea of breeding pet store bettas. Its hard to find homes for them, and the purpose of breeding is to better their traits. Maybe you would like to look into a quality pair? Or go "betta shopping" at any locoal pet stores until you find a REALLY good looking male and female. You want to look for pure colors (Ie. no red mixed withe blue) and large finnage.

Alexa