Drastic change from NSW to Mixed?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I've been buying a lot of corals off this guy who lives near me, and is just propogating his harty corals so that he can make some room. Super nice guy and he gives me amazing prices.

Unfortunetly everything i buy from him dies, the only things that have lived are cabbage, zoo's, and ricordia. The things that died are a small toadstool mushroom frag, hammer, green tree leather and a polyp rock. I was attributing most of the death to my hydrometer problem that i'd just figured out a couple days ago (my salinity was at approx 1.028-9, but my hydrometer said 1.024). Since then i've fixed the salinity and i bought another HUGE green tree frag (actually he traded me for a 10 gallon, i couldn't say no).

But it seems, yet again, that the tree leather is dying, i couldn't figure out ANYTHING that could make the difference, his tank is amazingly healthy and thriving, my tank not so thriving but still my levels check out, and my lights are similiar considering tank size.

Then i thought, "he uses natural sea water". Could the change between NSW and mixed water be causing all of this to die? I acclimate for approx 30 min or more everytime i buy somethign, and i still lose a lot. Can anyone answer this?

Another possible attribute to atleast the tree leathers, is they've been fragged off the "mother colony" only a couple of days ago, and they're still trying to attach via elastic. Could moving them to my tank have put the final nail in any chance of re attaching to the rock?

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
30 minutes could be part of the problem...you should acclimate corals for at least an hour on a slow drip. beyond that, if your water paramaters are all i don't know what could be causing your problem. perhaps it has to do with water flow...are you moving a comparable amount of water through your system?

you could try buying something from somewhere else...if it too begins to die then you know for sure its a problem in your tank

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it sounds like you are losing a lot of livestock...why don't you give us the details about your tank including size, water parameters, stocking, lighting, skimming, water flow, water changes, etc

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, i am. Which sucks.

I guess i'll start from the very beggining then.

-20 Gallon
-approx 15-20 pounds of rock...maybe more.
-crushed coral bed
-2 powerheads pushing some water, combined with 2 hob filters, no media.
-Corals and fish are: Several different polyps, and zoo's. Cabbage coral, 2 mushrooms and this not so awesome green tree leather, with 2 false percs.
- Lighting, 4 NO bulbs being run on a ballast meant to run 4' long bulbs (now runing 18"). Approx 80-90 watts.

I check my levels at work, with stupid hagen test kits. I have none of anything, no nitrate/ite, ammonia, normal PH and my temp stays between 77-80 depending on night and day.

I dunno what more i can offer, needless to say i've never been able to find out what's wrong. For a while i thought it was my messed up specific gravity, but now that it's been fixed things have been looking better, but i am losing the ocassional coral...which is ridiculously annoying.

I acclimate for usually somwhere between 30-60 minutes, lately i've been cutting down my acclimation to just floating the bag and gradually introducing water by hand. We do this at work, and it works great...they lose nothing.

I look forward to responses, i really wanna see if there's something i missed because for the life of me i cant figure it out.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
well they're 18" rated at 15watts. One actinic spectrum and the other three are 6500k (i got 6500k because i was told it's closest to the sun, and best for growth...albeit ugly). I wasn't sure how much they would be overdriving so i looked at the difference between an 18" bulb on an 18" ballast, and compared them to mine on a 4' ballast...the difference was drastic, incredibly brighter.

4 non overdriven bulbs would be 60 watts, so i figured an extra 20/30 watts divided between 4 bulbs would mean that they were only being overdriven by around 5-7 watts each. Which from what i saw with my eyes, is very conservative.

On this topic of lighting, in my area a demolition company is selling 175 watt MH pendants for $50. I can get a bulb for $39. I know this is an amazing deal, but i'm doing my best to save money for my trip to europe...and working a minimum wage job is not the way to do it...so i thought i'd hold off. However, if this is my problem i will consider buying one.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
One suggestion is that I don't think you need 3 6700K bulbs. I would replace 2 of them with a 10000K and a 18000K or 2 10000K's. Also, have you tried feeding the coarals on occasion? That will help with light deficiencies somewhat.