Drawf Lionfish Attack

Nov 17, 2006
Hazleton,Pa
I was at the pet store talkin to my good buddy there.He was cleanen the saltwater tank with a python as he went by the coral he yells oww and drops the python. At first i though he cut his hand off the coral.He said somethin stung him.Then in the back of the tank the drawf lionfish was swimminig in opposite direction.We looked it up he'll be fine. i couldnt belive that.I keep jokin around with him sayin he'll be the only person to die in a petstore.

Jan 27, 2007
i was at the lfs the other day, and they had a tank full of lion fish....probably a 120 gallon tank. Anyway,.....a fish was seemed to be posing for the warning sign.....unfortunately by the time i got my camera out it had moved a bit to the right

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
LOL nice pic.

and ya...sad thing is some people dont even know some of these fish are posionous. there was someone buying one to go into his 120g FOWLER with a bunch of little more reef fish. clowns, darters, blennys, so on. and when the lfs guy told him it was posionous, he seemed so surprised.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I work at a LFS and me and another guy were maintancing a customers tank and he got nailed by a big volitan...his hand swelled like a basketball...not a very lucky guy that was the second time he had been stung

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Ive handled quite a few...they stick to you and usually there very little to no irritation...of course you shouldnt handle those guys if you dont have to

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
BTA dont have much of a sting from what I've heard my anemones dont hurt at all i hand feed them stick the food right by there mouth and it just fills like something sticking to your finger :D
anyways I'd rather be stung by a lion fish then be bitten by my lfs 6"+ peacock mantis any day

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am constantly being stung by my frogspawn......believe me that sucker can raise hives pretty quickly. I think every time I get stung by it I become more sensitive. Now if i just so much as brush the inside of my arm over it I will itch for a month. Gotta get me some of those disposable gloves.......the veterinary kind......that should do the trick

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
juggernaut303 said:
I was at the pet store talkin to my good buddy there.He was cleanen the saltwater tank with a python as he went by the coral he yells oww and drops the python. At first i though he cut his hand off the coral.He said somethin stung him.Then in the back of the tank the drawf lionfish was swimminig in opposite direction.We looked it up he'll be fine. i couldnt belive that.I keep jokin around with him sayin he'll be the only person to die in a petstore.
Thats such a sad story it brings a tear to my eye....:(

lol

Usually Lionfish stings are never fatal. Just like stingrays.

juggernaut303 said:
Those r regular lionfish which are more veinomus.Normally when there smaller there more venomus a least thats how it is with snakes.
Not really true. Most of the venomous snakes in the world are normal sized. But when some are young they don't know how to control there venom. So it ciould be worse than an adult bite. But that theory usually works with scorpions.

saltwater4life said:
BTA dont have much of a sting from what I've heard my anemones dont hurt at all i hand feed them stick the food right by there mouth and it just fills like something sticking to your finger :D
anyways I'd rather be stung by a lion fish then be bitten by my lfs 6"+ peacock mantis any day
ehhh... i could take a bite from a peacock any day. the only thing id be worried about is getting clubbed;)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
BTAs aren't bad at all, even carpets which supposedly have a nasty sting arent that bad...when I used to get bored at work at the lfs I would stick my hand into the huge carpet we had...felt funny, like a mild electrical current, imagine a very mild electric fence.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
CoolWaters said:
how ironic u should say that since a famous man died from a stingray. crocodile hunter ringing any bells?
Of course! Steve Irwin was my hero! Thats why I put that in there. I had "RIP Steve Irwin" in my sig for a while.