Driftwood safe for tank??

Jwoody

Medium Fish
May 14, 2010
Hey,
i have recently set up a terrarium in a 20 gallon fish tank with some minnows and snails, and two red clawed crabs. I wanted to put some driftwood in my tank because the rocks are not working out to well. I just wanted to know how (if there is a way) to make wood from my yard(or just outside) safe for my fish tank. i was kinda hopin to stay away from the driftwood in the pet stores because they tend to get a little pricey!
Thanks!!*BOUNCINGS

Feb 27, 2009
As long as its a hardwood tree, you can use it in your aquarium. All of my driftwood is from my local wooded area. 'Green' wood (recenly alive) does not work well, as it tends to still have a lot of sap in it. If the wood has been dead for awhile, I just boil it or soak it in hot water to help remove any dirt/residue from it, and aid in peeling off the bark. Once the bark is gone, its good to go.

It may leech a lot of tannis. If that bothers you (doesn't bother the fish), use carbon in your filters to remove it, or do large frequent water changes.

Jwoody

Medium Fish
May 14, 2010
Thanks!

Just to clarify what do you think would be considered "green" wood? The photo i have attached is a picture of the wood that i would like to put in the tank, it was cut down about a month ago.

Attachments

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Green wood has the same definition with driftwood as it does with firewood. It's standard to wait a year after it's been cut down. There's ways to decrease the drying time, but they create a fire hazard: Kiln drying and oven baking.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Your wood is "green" if has been cut down for 6 months it may be ready, but I would say it needs longer then that. I didn't like the tannis, so I soaked mine in a big tub for a month before I put it in my tank. This also helped it get water logged and stay submerged.