Driftwood

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
So I just got a piece of driftwood for christmas, and I became hesitant to put it in my tank after one of my friends told me that its need to sit in water for a period of time before hand. So what I need to know is, is this true and what exactly do I need to do with the wood before putting in the tank?

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
If driftwood is not heavy it will float until it becomes waterlogged. Placing it in a tub of water will take care of this with time; it also gives it a chance for the tannins to leach out. These days I just put my wood in the tank (as Malaysian wood tends to sink without being weighted down with no problem) and let the tannins leach out inside the tank itself. When I do my water changes I'm removing the discolored water. No big deal...

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
well i have drifwood in by tank... and yes its true you should soak it for a few day... i kind of cheated and put it in warm water to bring the tannings out faster, and left it in the bucket for about 24hours ... but i dont reccomend it i was constantly doing water changes every week for about a month lol so i would ( if i were you) leave it to soak for about 5 days before putting it in the aquaria :) good luck

Chad

New Fish
Jan 7, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Im new to all of this, I just got my 29 gallon tank and I bought some driftwood with it. I also put my in a large bucket of warm water for about 2 days. Changing the water when it became slightly dirty. Ive had it in my tank now for several days and looks great.