Driftwood?!?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Where is the cheapest/most reliable place to buy aquarium driftwood? I saw a nice piece of hard wood at Petco. It's called Zoo Med Aquatic Natural Mopani Wood. It's two-toned and very nice. However, it's only 12 inches long, and I'd like something much, much bigger as a centerpiece for my 30 gallon tank. Also this Mopani wood doesn't rot, so I'd prefer a type of hardwood like that.

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
I'm in the UK and a lot of my LFS sell driftwood of some sort. I never see large pieces like you are looking for. Only smaller chunks. But I tend to cut them down some anyway, to tie on bits of java fern.

Sorry I can't help you though.

Feb 27, 2009
Hmmm...Wouldn't it rot after awhile? How do you cure "wild" wood? I'll probably just go with a harder driftwood that doesn't rot.
All wood rots eventually underwater. The harder the wood, the slower the process. I have several pieces that have lasted over 14 yrs now, so they've not rotted on me yet. Plecos cause more damage than the water.

Curing wood is not a hard process nor a big secret, just removes most of the tannins and gets it waterlogged. My LFS doesn't even cure theirs, they just sell them bolted to slate. Any wood you see anchored to a piece of slate hasn't been cured yet.

At any rate, you can buy it or do it yourself.