Drip Loops

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
Are your friend! I was woken up today by loud popping sounds and a funny smell. After running around my house looking for a fire I figured out it was my saltwater tank. My oh so lovely Prizm skimmer was overflowing all over the place!

Everything but my lighting, luckily, was on a surge protector that was hanging on the inside of my stand with proper drip loops. If it wasn't it would have fried everything...

I was messing with my light timers last night and just set the surge protector on the floor of the stand instead of hanging it back up. Very bad thing to do. I know the surge protector is toast and at least one timer, luckily neither of the timers had any lights on at the time.

Very scary thing to have happen, but at least it happened when I was at home to fix it and not at work.

USE PROPER DRIP LOOPS AND A GFI (IF YOU CAN) OR YOU MAY BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE!!!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
wetwebmedia.com has a really nice diagram as to how to make a drip loop...not that its not hard at all....but yea it was good thing you were home.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Good old Prizm... That was one of my biggest complaints with this skimmer, I used to have that happen to me at least once a month for the first while when I bought one, then I learned to always "ALWAYS" recheck the skimmer after about 1/2-1 hr after restarting it. I always use drip loops and put my electrical as far possible from the tank.

Glad to hear know one was hurt and that you caught it in time with minimal damages.

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
The Prizm is honestly more trouble than it is worth. I think I'm going to call the manufacturer today and insist they give me a refund, especially after what it caused this morning. It is ridiculous that they sell a product as troublesome as the Prizm...

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
It has been working well up until this happening. I've been cleaning it every night when I get home from work and slowly turning the flow back up to avoid overflows. I cleaned it yesterday at about 5pm and this happened today at about 7am.

I have no clue why it decided to overflow on me all of the sudden...

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
I've never used any additives in the tank and the only changes I've made the two false clowns I added Sunday afternoon.

I cleaned the cup Sunday shortly after adding the fish and it ran fine. I cleaned it again Monday afternoon and it ran fine until this morning. I've always kept the "bubbles" just under the o-ring so I can take off the cup without having to change the flow and I always make sure it doesn't get any higher than that...