Dropping pH...

Jun 29, 2008
PA
I have a puzzling problem hoping someone could make some suggests. My sister bought 4 barbs (2 rosy barbs and 2 tiger barbs) for a 5 gallon tank; yes, she was misled by the people at the LFS.....what a surprise!!

Within a week, one of the barbs died and she brought the fish back to petco; the water was tested and the ammonia was ‘off the charts’. Another sales woman informed her that there were way too many fish in the tank and either to get a large tank or return the fish.

She traded the barbs in for a black mollie and a marbled mollie. Prior to putting the fish in the tank, she did a 30% water change; she also put water conditioner, salt conditioner and Cycle into the tank. The transfer of water and fish was successful, except after 24 hours the pH dropped to 5.0. She did then another 40% water change and added the water conditioner, salt conditioner and Cycle. Sure enough, within 24 hours the pH went from 7.2 to 5.0 again. After this reading, she did a 70% water change and scooped up any excess food and feces (stir the water and scoop out); also, she also tested the pH from the tap water and it was 7.2.

Sure enough, within 24 hours the pH went from 7.0 to 5.0 again. So last night she did a full tank change; put the fish in a separate bucket, emptied the tank and rinsed the tank, gravel and plants. The only thing that was not replaced was the filter (Tetra Whisper); everything was returned and the water only had the water conditioner and salt conditioner (not Cycle). This afternoon the pH reading was 6.2. The tank was initially set up 3 weeks ago, but she did not have any pH problems until the exchanging of the fish.

The pH of the water from the tap is 7.2.

I’m hoping that someone has some suggestions to increase the pH.

Thanks. -Matt

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
5.0 is pretty low, but take some tap water and let it sit out in a bucket for 24 hours, and see what the pH is when you first set it out, and then after 24 hours. It's not unusual for the pH to drop some as the water out gases, but that seems pretty low. Unless there is also a buildup of excess food and or waste in the tank, and your tap water has no buffers, then that's the only thing I can think of.

Also check the kH of the water the same time you check the pH. This will clue you in on the buffering capacity of your water and might give you an idea of what's causing this.

There is no reason in trying to fix this until you find the problem.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Seems like something acidic is around or that the buffering ability (alkalinity) needs to be tested like Orion says.

BUffering capacity would give your water some ability to resist pH changes.

WHat are the ammonia levels. Low pH could be hiding an ammonia problem too.

I also doubt the tank is properly cycled so she shoudl have something to protect the fish from high ammonia levels.

Stress Zyme, Stress coat, test kits, Ammo lock.... someone needs to go shopping for some products. Check out the vendors on here.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Low PH won't hide an ammonia problem it just detoxifies the ammonia. It's still there.

Like O said, check the PH of tap water that has sat out for 24 hrs. And knowing the KH of your water will give you a base line for what's going on.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
thanks for the help. the initial pH value of the tap water was 7.4 i will tell her to let some tap water sit out for 24 hrs and monitor the pH.

she was putting Cycle into the tank which I thought might have affected the high amonia levels (cycle + excessive fish waste based on over stocking).

my sister has only had the tank for a few weeeks so i doubt the tank is cycled.

Aug 4, 2008
Tank is defiantly not cycled.

Search "Fish tank Cycle" on google. Come back in 3 days when you've read everything! :D

This is why your ammomia is high, and why fish are dieing. Your LFS stucks, do not listen to another thing they say. (without getting at least one other opinion.)

(157 posts and you do not know about cycling a fish tank? :O )

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Surprise Clown Loach- Before typing your nasty comments, I suggest you read my original post. My sister is the one that overstocked the tank, not myself.

She acknowledged her errors and (foolishy) trusted the people at PetSmart. She is trying to correct the problem and save the fish. She has reduced the number of fish and seeking assistance.

One of the fish died because it was harassed to death by a cherry barb.

Instead of your criticism why dont you help to save the fish rather than dwell on previous errors???

You have 80 posts. I am sure you could provide a few helpful suggestions!