DSB for freshwater?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Figured this would be a good place to ask.

I know they can help to get rid of nitrates, but the organisms that do this are they saltwater only?

Would a DSB get ride of nitrates effectivly in a freshwater setup?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
yeah i read some stuff about doing it for Chiclids so they can dig, but they said to stir it up to keep it healthy, but thats the oposite idea behind DSB for nitrogen removal. So yeah just wondering the posibilities.

Dec 3, 2007
You shouldn't need to use a DSB in a freshwater setup - they can be useful in a saltwater tank because saltwater organisms are more sensitive to nitrates, but in a freshwater tank, removing nitrates via water changes is sufficient.

Deep sand beds are somewhat tricky, at any rate, because the anaerobic bacteria that convert nitrates to nitrogen gas also produce hydrogen sulfide, a toxic waste gas that could bubble up from your substrate and wreak havoc. Plus, I'm not sure if a DSB would even "work" for a freshwater system - if those bacteria can live in freshwater? Unless someone knows otherwise, I would keep a sandbed to 2-3 inches max and make sure it's getting stirred up and aerated regularly (thus, not an actual DSB).