DT, ST, what does it all mean, exactly

HanshaSuro

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
Eastern MA
furtakconsulting.com
I just got my first betta, and I'm wondering exactly who this is staring at me through the glass side of the bowl. What do all the different abbreviations stand for? I'm guessing DT means double tail and ST means single tail, but what does that mean, exactly? Harry's tail fin has split down the middle, does that make him a DT? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten my ignorance.

Mar 11, 2003
DT, ST

A double tail just has a split tail by genetic inheritance. Some bettas rip their tails, and usually it grows back, but sometimes it doesn't and people who finde them call the betta a DT. However a DT is a recessive gene that makes the split. So to get DTs the parents of you fish have to a) carry DT or b) one is DT one is ST(or ST/dt).

A single tail is just that, single. No splits. Some splits only go through partially (they should split until it connects to the body) or are uneven. These are traits you don't want to pass down to other bettas, but some look just fine. Here is a picture of my royal blue DTF (double tail female), Tiger Lily.

Alexa