Dwarf Gourami Agression

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i have 2 dwarf gourami's in a 30 gal tank. one of them is agressive as hell. always swimming to the other side of the tank to nip at the other one. he will constantly try to bully the other gourami. also i see that the one getting bullied has nips in its fins. should i take the agressive one out and replace it with another that maybe might not be agressive? thanks for the help

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Melafix will help the nipped fins (I'm pretty sure it's okay for the gouramis, might wanna double check at the LFS).

I've heard that they're really aggressive species, have you provided hiding places for both in the tank so they have their own turf to guard? Have they always been aggressive to eachother or is this a new behavior? And is the aggressive one only pecking on the one fish or all the fish in the tank? Have you added any new fish into your tank that could have upset the pecking order as it where?

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
I have a flame red and a neon blue dawrf, I didnt have that problem but the blue is substantially bigger because he is older I think, I have been told not to mix them because the are agressive towards each other but I think its a 50/50 chance. I would seperate them if they are causing damage to each other thats my opinion plus it would give me a reason to start a new tank heehee.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
the one with the vertical red stripes is just a plain male dwarf gourami.

there are alot of hiding places for them. i have pictures of my tank in the gallery and in the rate my tank forum. the only fish that he is going after is the other gourami. the tank is heavily planted too. i guess it is just his nature.. maybe i should try to get a different one and sell him back, unless one of you guys/gals want him(if that is what i end up doing)

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
I havent seen the same agression in the females...but finding female dwarf gouramis is a litle harder to do since most fish breeders keep them. Plus their colors arnt nearly as vivid but you can search the net for a reputable dealer that'll sell females.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Unfortunately Dwarf Gourami are realated to Bettas and therefore dont generally get along. Your best bet is to remove the aggressive one, too much bullying can kill a fish. But if you do will that leave you with 2 Gourami?? I ask cause thats not the best number to have.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You might wanna replace the aggressive one with another one that's calmer? See if that helps?

I hate messing with the pecking order of a tank I'm always worried it'll just all fall apart.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I havent seen the same agression in the females...but finding female dwarf gouramis is a litle harder to do since most fish breeders keep them. Plus their colors arnt nearly as vivid ....
Exactly! If you want a dwarf species that is not as aggressive go for colisa chuna/trichogaster chuna ( aka Honey Gourami).

I've been wanting to find some Trichopsis pumila (aka sparkling gourami or dwarf croaking gourmi). These only get about 1.5 inches and are said to be really peaceful.

Stay away from the powder blue, though. I've had one and he didn't do too well with others.

If you don't mind having ones that are bigger but are peaceful go for the pearl. I have two in my 29g and love 'em.

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
ok I found this on a website for dwarf gouramis take it as advice not law:

The Dominant Male Dwarf Gourami
Occasionally a male Dwarf Gourami may show signs of being a dominant male. He may show aggression towards other Gouramis and bully other males in the aquarium. This is not an abnormal thing and there are a few things that can be done to reduce the aggression.

Providing plants and different types of hiding places will help divide up the tank, provide shelter for the Gouramis on the receiving end of the aggression and will give different areas for the dominant male to choose as his territory. In tanks with only males it is a good idea to add one female for every male Dwarf Gourami. This will help divide the aggression of the dominant male. Keeping both males and females is always a good idea even if there isn't a dominant male Dwarf Gourami in the aquarium.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
that really hasnt ever worked for me..regardless of how many females there are; i agree with tom, if you want a group of gouramis go with the ones he has recommended

even if you take out the aggressor, you will probably have the same problem...over and over again..take one back or permanently separate them, bc sooner or later one of them will be dead

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
even if you take out the aggressor, you will probably have the same problem...over and over again..take one back or permanently separate them, bc sooner or later one of them will be dead

Speaking from experience (unfortunately) that is true. I had just put two pearls in my 29g with every intention of taking out a gold gourami. A friend who I had not seen in about a year paid an unexpected visit. I lost track of time and less than an hour later my pearl (who had just spent 3 weeks in QT) was DEAD. I felt awful because I had noticed the gold chasing her around the tank.

Heh... posted her "funeral" pics that seemed to have freaked a few people out. :eek:

Anyway, my point is: be careful about mixing gouramis together since they are just like bettas. They're typcially agressive and generally territorial unless you stick with two or three of the calmer species.

If you're serious about keeping this type of fish you might want to pick up a book that Hans Richter wrote about bettas and gouramis (I didn't bother to Google the name so I'm not 100% sure about the spelling). Anyway, I've found that book to be somewhat helpful.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
wow. alot of replys, i appreciate the help. to correct myself i do have 3 in my tank. i think that i am going to remove the agressor and try to find 2 females to put in the tank with the males. will the small honey gourami get along with the dwarf male gourami?

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Well, CRAP. I was coming to post this exact same question as you Dwarf. Most of you know I just bought 2 male gourami 4 days ago. A regular dwarf and a flame dwarf. The reg. one is getting meaner every day. The flame is very docile and perfectly content to ride the current. From the get go, the reg. dwarf was territorial and now aggressive.
I'm thinking of rearranging the tank with more plants in the middle to divide the tank up. I'd remove the aggressor but I don't have anywhere to put him right now. If you figure out the answer to the aggression, Dwarf, let me know so I can give it a try.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You can use eggcrate from your local hardware store to make a temperary divider as well. Get it small enough that the gourami's can't go through but your guppies and neons should be able to pass through just fine.

It won't be pretty but it'll do the trick in a pinch.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I think the biggest problem is that all the information online says to keep Dwarf gouramis in pairs...what they dont state is that they should be a m/f pr. So we go out and buy 2 dwarf gouramis and then have this problem.
Females are not very colorful so not sold in lfs/petstores that often IME.