Dwarf Gourami - Couple of Issues- HELP!!

Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Let me try to explain the situation briefly. I have a 30g tank and started off with (2) M Dwarves, (1) M Silver Shark and (1) F Silver Shark. Everything was fine for the first week then the two Male Dwarves started beating the crap out of other. No damage just scare tactics. So I went out a found (1) F Dwarf. (What a TOUGH find). Well, good news....the males stop beating each other. Bad news, now they beat the female. I like that story but thats not even the problem.

Shortly afterwards, all 3 Dwarves started changing color, blue streaks from mouth to "stomach" and the top of their heads got darker. They are as healthy and as active as can be. I did a W/C, PH test (7.2), the gravel in vinegar test (gravel is fine) and changed the filter. They are still the same. Does anyone have an idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance.
Scorpio

Last edited:

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Have u got a picture of your gourami's?
We had blue dwarf gourami's and never knew if they were male or female. They fought each other and the rest of the the tank mates, until we had some deaths and eventually the gourami's died.
I dont know much about gouramis....but maybe they get fearstripes like bettas if they are sick or not too happy.
My betta gets these stripes from eye to tail if he is under the weather.

Probably of no help but wanted to tell u of my experience with dwarf gourami's.

tra

Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Rocky

Here is a picture of Rocky, before "blue". I named him Rocky for obvious reasons. ^_^ The stress line theory is very interesting. There might be some truth to that considering that all three developed it shortly after meeting. They are definitely not sick because they are the most active, outgoing fish I've ever witnessed. Sidenote: Today was the first day they came to the front of the tank to get food. I love these guys.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Male / Female Dwarves

By the way, The difference between male and female is pretty drastic. The male is extremely bright in color and the female is very very dull and has a different dorsal fin. My males are blue and red while my female is light blue and pale red bordering on yellow.

Scorpio