dwarf gourami female/male ratio

aklor

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2003
sunny Arizona
www.fizixrealm.net
I found female dwarf gouramis at one of my lfs and was wondering what ratio they should be kept it relative to the males so that they're not harassed/stressed

Do I need more females than males or is 1:1 (or less) ok?

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
Normally a good ratio would be 1:1 or 1:3.

It really depends on what the fishes attitude is. A pair of the same species will probably go good together. But then again, if one female is being harassed by a male (male wanting to mate all the time), try getting another female to take the stress off.

The harassment in gouramis isn't all that common though. The female normally gives the signal when she wants to mate.

So yeah, just see how things go, and if the female gets nipped a bit, get another female to take all the stress off of the one.

Jubilee

Medium Fish
Oct 29, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I have a male and 1 female dwarf in a 29 gal. and they get along great. It depends on the tank size. I don't particularly like keeping more than 1 female with 1 male because the females can be quite aggressive with each other too.

May 28, 2003
Food Chain, Ontario
Visit site
i've had 1:1 and had absolutely no problem, but it depends on individual fish and sometimes particular strain of dwarf - honey dwarves are probably the friendliest little guys around and 1:1 is never a problem. however my LFS said that it might be wise to get 2 females to 1 male for regular dwarves. also depends on your tank size, of course.