dying betta?

Feb 29, 2004
San Marcos, Texas
Visit site
Ok, so I got a new betta last week (Ezra), and he's really pretty...but he seems to play dead a lot! He wedges himself upside down in the weirdest places, but he'll come up for air, and he eats. He's just not very active...Usually I pick betta for their fiestyness (like if they flare at your finger!) but, I wanted to put some tank mates in with him, so I picked a more sluggish one... I guess my question is if this behavior is normal, or is he depressed (he mostly just lies on the bottom of the tank), or should I try to return him before he dies? He looks healthy...no bloating, fin rot, popeye, or anything like that... Yikes! I dunno, please help :)

Thanks,

Katie

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hard to tell from the info you gave. Water temp and pH OK? Hopefully you dechlorinated the water. If they are OK, you might consider returning him, although some bettas are less "feisty" than others. From the behavior you describe I would watch for signs of bloating.

Last edited:

Quagaar

Medium Fish
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
www.aquatic-hobbyist.com
I'd not give up on his just yet. They sometimes take a little time to settle into a new house.
What size tank you keeping him in, are you adding salt? What are you feeding him and how often?

What temperature is the water?

Bettas really arent bothered about the pH so long as they are kept in a constant pH they will adapt happily, they will favour a little aquarium salt to their water. Temp is a major problem with bettas, too cold and they become lethargic, their temp should be a nice steady constant 78-80 degrees fahreheit. Make sure there isnt a pwoerful current either,m if there is they tend to drape themselves onto plants and ornaments to get some respite from being blown around like a kite. Bettas have been shown to display all the sysmptoms of depression, and can become ill for what seems no apparent reason. So its essential while hes like this to ensure his water and tank conditions are pristine, and hes being fed a good nutritional varied diet. Heres a link to some foods that you could try him on to see if you can increase his interest http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/fishbertspage/feeding.html
There are a couple other things that can increase a bettas interest in his surrounds, one is a common childs marble, for some unexplained reason many bettas like to push them around in the substrate. Something I havent personally witnessed but I am assured by several members of my own betta forum this is true. Something I ahave personally had a great deal of success with is a small vanity mirror outside his tank for a little while each day. This can in many instances increase confidnece and increase his willingness to defend his territory. The idea behind it is that he sees himslef and assumes its another betta, and flares at himself in the attempt to drive the interloper off. Which he will inevitably achieve as you remove the mirror. This can greatly increase his confidence and his physical stature. But it mustnt be left there for long periods of time as too much of a good thing makes mr betta a very obsessive guy, and he'll spend too much time trying to drive himself off and may actually run himself. Gotta be worth a shot. But Dont give up on him, or hes destined to return to those little cups:(

ktkat28

New Fish
Feb 29, 2004
San Marcos, Texas
Visit site
Thanks...the water might be a little chilly, but I am afraid a heater will make things too warm...I have a girl right next to him, though, and she seems quite content with the temperature...It's probably around 75 or so. He likes to play in the current; I messed with turning the pump on and off, but he didn't seem to respond either way. It's almost like his fins are too heavy or something. He was activeish at the store in the little container!! He's by himself in a 2.5 gallon. Right now I am feeding him 4-5 hikari betta bio gold pellets, but I have some bloodworms, so maybe I'll test those out. I will try to get a marble in the next couple of days, too! That sounds so cute! :) Whoever said fish are boring obviously never had a betta! Thanks again; I'll keep checking and updating

Katie