eat or die?

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
I've had my fish now for a week. Only one died...but i figured he would anyways bc one of his eyes had already been eaten out er something at the fish store he was at...anyways. Same story: I feed them, they get excited, but don't eat. Would they rather not eat the food I give them & die? I'm feeding them Omega One fish flakes I got at PetSmart. I've also tried feeding them Tetra flakes & shrimp pellets & nothing.

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Ask the fish store what they were feeding there, perhaps? I've never kept either of those fish, but I have yet to find anything that couldn't resist freeze-dried bloodworms. (I like the hikari brand). I also have sinking algae wafers for my otos and I'm not sure that they actually ever get to eat any of them, since all the other fish like them so much. (Omega One Veggie Rounds). All the tetras I've kept have seemed to like the Hikari micro pellets as well.

Just be sure you are careful to clean out any uneaten food, since you are cycling and it can give you ammonia spikes as it decomposes.

Fish are cold-blooded, so they can go a while without eating. I wouldn't panic.

How big are your shrimp pellets? Definitely small enough to fit in those tiny little mouths?

Try crumbling some flake into smaller pieces in case they've never encountered a flake before?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
If they take in a whole flake, chew on it, then spit it out, they're eating them. If they peck at the substrate, they're eating. If they just swim around and don't eat anything...you need to check your ammonia and nitrite levels, because your tank is still cycling.