eclipse 2gallon

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
i have a question about eclipse aquariums. do i need to buy a heater for it because whenever i turn the light on the water gets waay to hot for the fish and when i turn it off the temp goes too cold. how do i stop this probelem. i would like to have the light off at night and the light on during the day so i can enjoy my fish. i had 3 neon tetras in there and they died because the water was too hot.

if you have an eclipse 2 gallong please tell me what to do so i can get some more fish back in there.

thank you *GOLDFISH*

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I'm not familiar with the eclipse 2 gallon, but I know someone who had the eclipse 5 gallon, and had to change the normal 'incandescent' light to a screw-in power compact fluorescent. They don't get nearly as hot as incand. lights do. Depending on the size of the bulb, you might want to see if you can find a small CF bulb that would fit.

Sep 16, 2005
one bulb should be fine. the smallest is 10 watts i think...it will give you more than enough light to grow live plants (5 wpg will even cover high light-demand plants).

my eclipse 5 has the same light on it and i run it for about 10-12 hours a day on my plants and it keeps the temperature pretty stable. give it a try for a week or so and see what happens. if your temp is still going nutty, you could get a small heater like this.

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
I have the Eclipse 12 and I've never had a problem with the water getting too hot from light. I think it's a problem shared in all tanks under, say 3 gallons. I used to have a 2.5 g and with the light on it would get to about 85 degrees.

Think about upgrading your tank, because with the $$ it takes to upgrade your current light, you could be looking into buying an Eclipse 12 (or the larger 18's and 22's that aren't bowfront).

-Xan

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
i was messing around with the tank by taking out water/adding water. i got it so if i have the water about 3in from the top the light does not make it too hot. the temp kept over the night at about 72degrees.