eclipse system

Aug 19, 2007
Hey All!!
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Eclipse system specifically the Eclipse 6. I would like to start a small saltwater tank and am looking at this tank. Some specifics I'm wondering about are if the lighting is correct for fish, algea and coral, how the filter is for saltwater, how well the tanks keeps water from evaporating and anything else that might help me decide to go for this tank. Thanks all!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think an eclipse tank would work well for a freshwater setup, but I don't think it would be my first choice for a saltwater. The filter setup doesn't give enough water flow and creates nitrates in the tank which are bad in sw. I think the hoods are ok for lowlight things (fish don't 'need' light), but I have heard that they're difficult to do any modifications on if you want more lighting for corals etc.

tjmino

Small Fish
Aug 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with Froggy. I'm setting up a 25g freshwater Eclipse tank based on my brother's experience with 2 5g Eclipse hexes. For simple freshwater setups, they're great! They're nearly silent, the filter is pretty effective, and the lighting is ok -- all for a good price. BUT, modifications are difficult. You can search online to see some ways that people have modified the lighting (some look really good, others not so much), but you definitely need higher lighting for coral.

So if you change your mind and decide to set up a freshwater tank, by all means, you should absolutely try the Eclipse system. For SW, though, I'm not so sure. You might want to wait for a couple more responses from SW experts, but I think Froggy already hit the main points pretty well.

Aug 19, 2007
I actually already have a freshwater tank thats the reason I'm looking into a SW now, I want to do something different and with much more vibrant color. Any other suggestions? I figured on the subject of water flow that I would buy a power head to create a current that was needed, it was just the lighting that I did think would be a problem.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
so do you already have that eclipse and want to turn it into sw or are you looking into buying another tank for a sw? If you want the "all in one" kind of sw tank like the eclipse is for fw, check out the "nano cubes" or whatever you want to call them. JBJ makes them, as well as a bunch of other companies. They're not cheap, but then again neither are eclipse tanks or anything else in this hobby. :D

Aug 19, 2007
Actually, I don't have it yet I'm just watching one on eBay and I reallyliked the look of them and how good they are supposed to be thats all. I'll go take a look at the nano cube and see how that looks although it is quite expensive.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
i also wouldn't recommend the eclipse for a SW setup... namely, because i tried it, and i was less than pleased with it. granted, my saltwater experience was sort of a flop, but i didn't end up using much of the stock equipment - i used the filter with no media, just for some extra flow, and the lights aren't strong enough for corals.

i'd say look at the nano cube ;)

BigSoxFan

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2006
i did ok with a system 12 fish and lr only i bought a sunpaq conversion light for it(only 75$) and did well, but like stated above there were some nitrate isues. but i still have the 3 fish 15 snails and 6 red reef crabs..they have a new home now but if you watch it like a hawk its ok.....JUST OK.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
at my LFS, i saw a tank similar to an eclipse design, i forgot the name of it.. it's a cube and it has a built in protein skimmer, filter, and lighting in it -- so basically a salt water version of an eclipse. i thought it was pretty cool.