Eels for a day...

Skwid

New Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Been a while since I've posted here. (New account, formerly Skwidslair)

A while back I purchased two lively little things that were called 'Wiki Cats'. I'd never heard of them, and have had a lot of trouble finding information on them. (Try googling the words 'wiki' and 'cat'...yeah.)

Anyways, they've been growing fairly rapidly in our 75 gallon, and are highly entertaining to watch. Evidentally...they're fairly aggressive as well.

Now, based on the fact that I haven't lost any of my small barbs, oto cats or any other small fish in that tank...I figured I had finally cleansed the tank of all things 'nasty'. I decided to try my luck with eels again (the last one died within a couple days in another tank) and picked up a Spiny/Tiretrack eel and a Carribean Swamp Eel (looks a lot like a rope fish).

I introduced the two eels to the 75...and within a couple of hours, my wiki cats had killed the swamp eel, and stressed out the tiretrack. It is now the next day, and my tiretrack has passed on.

I also managed to finally find a couple things out about my wiki cats. Apparently they are illegal (at least, in Canada...they're native) and grow to be quite large. As in...I may want to get a pond up and going kind of large.

I don't really want to get rid of them...and I may put them in my 72 bowfront --currently unstocked-- with a black ghost knife and a pleco to be determined later.

I want to try the eel thing again...the tiretrack this time around was at least more social than the last one I had...it's just a shame that he didn't 'fit in' with the others.

Does anyone know anything about Wiki Cats? Or at least their scientific name, to make it easier to search for info?

Skwid

New Fish
Mar 12, 2007
I've decided I'm going to put them in my 72 bowfront once it's cycled, along with my overly aggressive black shark and a black ghost knife.

Either the shark will straighten them out...or vice versa. Hopefully, the ghost gets left alone in the process.

I'll then try the eel thing AGAIN in the 75 gallon.

Skwid

New Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Well...at long last, I know the true name of these things.

Thank you!

What confuses me is that my small cherry barbs haven't been touched at all, yet they went after the eels. I wonder if this is because the barbs were in the tank before them, where the eels were introduced 'after'? Hmm.

Anywho...as mentioned, I'm putting them into a 72 bowfront with a black ghost knife (and I think my black shark). They should actually be able to keep each other in line, me thinks.

If, by chance, they outgrow the tank...I'll likely put them in a pond...providing the pond is ready by then. I guess that depends on how fast these guys grow.

Thank you again for your help, people. Very much appreciated!