Effectiveness of Poly Filters

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
1. How effective is poly filters removing ammonia, phoshphate and many others as advertised by Poly Bio Marine?
2. Everyone of these filters have a saturation point. And once the saturation point is reached, some filter would realease what was abosrbed back into water. Does poly filters doe that (from personal experience and not what is advertised)?

I intend to use these poly filters in my canister filter. And this would mean that would not be able to visually observe the changes in color which indicates that their satiration point have being reached. How frequently do you change them? ... I know this depend on many factors, but just give me a ball park number ...

Rohn

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
its hard to say when they would need to be replaced exactly as you said yourself there are many factors. All I could really suggest would be to monitor your levels that you are trying to help eliminate and just watch as they fall and if they start to rise again.

I used a poly filter pad in a HOB filter a while back for phosphate purposes and didnt monotr levels so I cant say for sure if it truely worked or not but overall didnt see that much of an improvement in what I wanted to use it for.

Overall if you have a true problem with either ammonia of phosphate (I dont know if there minimal and you want to deplete them or if there out of control) but if there int he out of conotroll region it would be more beneficial to fix the epicentier if you will rather than the poly pads. Main reason I say this is it will be a pain to take apart the canister and removae and replace the pads semi often (saturation point I really dont know what they have on, all i KNow is theres variables)

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I really don't have any problem on either NH3 or PO4 or any other factors. NO3 might be a little higher than I would like it to be, ~10ppm.

I have taken apart my 403 for a couple of modifications and I was wondering what would be the best filter media to replace the existing sponge and the bio balls that the 403 originally came with.

Another filter media that I considered was Pura Poly Pad, which also advertise as removing, solids, organics, ammonia, phosphate, medications, lead, copper, silicates.

Rohn

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They're effective, but it's a really expensive way to do remove ammonia. Let your biofilt sort that out and use polyfilters as a carbon alternative to remove yellowing organicss, gelvin.