Effects of Carbon

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I know it's not a good idea to have carbon in filters when you are medicating because the carbon will filter it out. Is this the case with flourish and flourish excel? My tank will be planted and if they don't get their CO2 and nutrients, they might not do so well. :) Any suggestions as to what I could use in place of carbin in my filters (XP3 canister and Emperor 400)?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
The only reason you should be using activated carbon in the first place is if you have water quality problems like toxins and poisons etc,or for removing unwanted or excess medications.It's expensive so there's no point wasting it.

As to whether it would remove nutrients for plants,I would think so to some extent,but....I couldn't say for sure.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Don't substitute it with anything.Just use whats in your filter and if you want add some filterwool which will make your water really sparkle.
Save the carbon for when you need it.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Everyone keeps talking about this magic filter wool. :) I will have to track some of it down. Sounds like it would be worth getting.

The reason I wanted to substitute it is that it is taking up space in 2 of my 4 cartridges in the emperor. I was going to take it out so it doesn't mess with my plant stuff.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Well if you have spare room just add some more ceramics instead,if you have them that is.Then just lay some filter wool on top.It's damned good stuff imo.Goes in white and gets chucked a week later and it's always black with filth.So cheap aswell.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I have about 1200g of ceramics in my XP3, but nothing in my emp 400. Thinking of putting polyester fiber in it for mechanical and then just having the two wheels be the biological. Do need to get more ceramics though.

As for the filter wool.. I did a search for it and it didn't come up with too much. Seems like there are a good amount of places near you with it, but not many here in the US. I am sure this isn't the case, I just need to find the right place to look.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
What about filter cartridges that come with carbon only (i.e. Eclipse?). Is it hurting anything to be running carbon all the time? (P.S. I don't use chemicals or medication in that tank. I'm one of the believers that proper heat and water-changes can fix everything.)

hyunelan - for the eclipse cartriges, I would just slit the side closest to the bio-wheel, dump out the carbon and then just plop that 'empty' cartigrige back in the space...without the carbon in it you can use it for months and months longer than they reccomend...essentially until the blue floss disintegrates...and if you want to stick bio-media or some other non-carbon based water polisher in where the carbon was, you can. I use Seachem's Renew instead of carbon.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
The day is mine! Micron fiber is the "water polishing" solution. Hahaha. Right, now that I know that... does anyone know if that is something you can buy at a craft store? I am sure it's just very fine polyester or nylon. Just curious if anyone had some experience or knowledge of where this lovely item can be found for cheap. :)

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Micron Fiber... aka microfiber, is sold in large 'towels' at most auto-supply stores for applying wax/polish. I don't know if craft stores carry it or not, if they do, you just found an alternative to PepBoys/Autozone prices.

Last edited: