Egads! I think I got it solved!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ok, how do you seperate 3 females and 2 males when you only have 3 tanks?.....

I was driving along, thinking about how I would hate to have to return my females (again) or decide which 2 of the 3 had to go. When I thought of what breeders do...Build Partitions!!!

I have a 2 gallon hex with my first male Finchy... leave that alone...

But I also have two identical 3gallon acrylic tanks. 1 tank has a male, the other has 3 females with one (Reena) chasing the others continually.

I called a hardware store, picked up a sheet of 3/16" acrylic, made a cardboard template of the inside width of my tank (acrylic bowed tanks) then cut two dividers with about 100 x 3/16" size holes in each. My tanks both have notches in the exact middle of the plastic top 'frame' that holds the lid, so the dividers are held at top inside the notches, and sunk into 1" of gravel (ontop filter plate) at the bottom.

Then, it was time for musical fish...

I left Rigel the BIG blue betta and added Reena my biggest BLUE female betta on the other side. Well, Rigel was some excited and so was Reena. She was not scared at all, in fact, she was trying to get at him!!!

The other tank has Shelby the small blue and little red Ruby. Now that they have their own 'turf', neither Shelby or Ruby are hiding any more. The can see each other and have no horizontal lines anymore (for a while the both looked more like zeebra's than betas)

It was about 5 hours of work and cost me $10.00 in acrylic, but now, at least, the bio-load is much better and no one is in danger of being attacked.

Hope this works out (especially a male and female beside each other).

May 19, 2003
Visit site
sounds good... didn't those acrylic tanks with the the notch in the middle come with a divider?!

otherwise, why would there be a notch for one?

just curious as i have one of the 2.5g acrylic tanks also with the notches and it came with an acrylic divider...

i house only one betta and one dwarf frog though so i dont use it...

good work though.

Mar 11, 2003
Nice job. Acrylic dividers are much better looking than my plastic canvas ones. I divided my 10 gallon into 8 sections for my juvie males to be seperated in. This allows water flow and heated water for each betta. If you can't get your females to get along, or need some more housing for males, dividers are the way to go, or barracks.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Update: Well Rigel has a bunch of tiny white spots on him today. Looks like textbook Ick to me. I am using Aquasol and slowly raising the tank temp to 85F using a 60watt table lamp (I am close enough to make sure it will not overhead the tank).

Reena fe-betta is keeping him preoccupied, so he is not showing any symptoms (rubbing, etc.) If it does not clear-up or gets serverly worse, I will get Jungle Anti-Ick for the water.

I wonder if the stress from his new tankmate caused him to get Ick or if it was something Reena gave him? So far, Reena is not showing any spots.